hydraulics

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
shugy368
430 crawler
430 crawler

hydraulics

Post by shugy368 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:06 pm

Hi all, been awhile since I've been here, lots goin on, any way I have to rebuild one of my main lift cylinders on my 420-C loader and want to know if the top unscrews ? or is there some other hidden way to open the cyl.? And hopefully Lavoy will have a rebuild kit! Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: hydraulics

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:38 pm

Take the nuts off of the tie rods, the end cap will come off. There is a nut on the bottom of the ram that holds the plunger on, you will need to take that off to get the ram out of the one end cap.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:12 pm

As Lavoy said if it is the JD loader with tie rod cylinders undo the tie rods and the ends can be removed to get at the internals. I think the 420's used the 90 loader and you can check the parts out in the on line JD parts catalog , to see if it looks like yours. If it does not have tie rods cylinders it may be another brand of loader. On those it is likely the end unscrews but photos would help confirm if there might be something else to look at.

shugy368
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by shugy368 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 3:46 pm

Thanks Lavoy and Jim, I've determined they are of the gland nut style, that being said the wrenches are harder to find than hens teeth :roll: Anyway I have a new issue I would like to roll out here in hopes of ideas. Was moving my JD back to the garage and once parked noticed a good trickle of fluid on the ground leading back from where I had left the tractor on sat. Upon closer inspection I saw a pool of fluid near the Hyd pump in a sort of pan thats part of the undercarraige, got a good amount on my fingers and as best I can tell it was Hyd fluid not engine oil. What is the most likely failure spot on that pump? All hose conn look good, but it is losing a substantial amount of fluid.
A possible cause might be I maxxed out lift on Sat while unloading a lumber delivery. maybe?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:04 am

Most likely pump shaft seal. Depending on pump, not likely serviceable, at least not economically, and maybe no parts availability.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com