Fuse blows when lights turned on.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Fuse blows when lights turned on.

Post by bookman51 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 9:32 am

I put new lights on my 420 crawler and rewired them. However, when I turned the switch to the lights, the fuze blew. My first guess is a short somewhere. I replaced the fuse and crawler started and runs fine--with the lights off. I looked in the parts and service manuals and could not find the size of fuse, but I have a 15 amp in it. I am tempted to put inline fuses to the lights to make sure the lights are protected in (almost) any case. It is not like I plan on working the crawler at night, but thought I would fix it anyway. Does any one know what size fuse to use in the current fuse holder? And, any tricks to trying to trace down a short or whatever is wrong?

I will add that the brake and clutch shaft were sticking together, but I have worked them enough and put enough liquid wrench or whatever on the saft that they seem to be freeing up. I hope I have not spoken too soon!!!

Thanks in advance.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Fuse blows when lights turned on.

Post by Jim B » Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:22 am

What did you install for lights? The part number of the bulb should be able to cross to the amp draw per light, a 15 amp fuse could be too small for the lights. It sounds like you have one primary fuse, ahead of the ignition switch protecting everything. A 15 amp fuse would be fine with no lights. I would guess your primary fuse needs to be 30 amp plus. A circuit breaker would be better than a fuse to me. After determining the draw of the lights I would fuse the light circuit separately, either ahead or right after the switch, depending on the switch arrangement being used.

Check the wire for spots where the insulation has been compromised. Not knowing what type lights you have you may need to check inside the housing to see that wires aren't touching inside them. Is your crawler still 6 volt or have you converted it to 12 volt?

bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bookman51 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:43 am

I did not change the wiring of the crawler, and there is a fuse that protects everything, as originally designed. It blows and everything stops, not just the lights. I will check and see what I can tell from the lights bulbs. It has been a few months since I put in the lights, but I do not think they are sealed beams, just bulbs. The crawler is still 6 volt. Thanks

bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bookman51 » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:19 pm

I opened up the lights and found somethings wrong, I do not know if they are the cause for the blown fuse, but they could. The front lights are bulbs, and a piece of Bakelite (or whatever) where the wiring goes in was broken. Fortunately I have some other old lights and a stole a piece from one of them. The bulbs say on the ISIN 6V21W TS1782 I assume that means 6 volt and 21 watt.

Then the back light is a sealed beam I opened it up and one of the connectors was broken off. It is a more recently sealed beam light and probably not original. I see them on Internet, but I am going to check NAPA in town and a couple other local places. I think they are 30 watt.

I will get some bigger fuses too, but I prefer to blow fuses rather than lights.

thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:50 pm

20 amp is the biggest fuse you want to put in there.
Problem is most likely a short somewhere in the wiring, the lights them selves, or the switch itself. Just need to work your way through the system til you find it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bookman51 » Sat Jan 25, 2020 9:04 pm

I fixed all the light problems from my previous post but my fuse still blows when I turn on the lights. I have posted a new post on this. Maybe when it warms up again I will take the dash and hood off and trace the wiring to the lights. Darn, I thought I had it fixed. I assume maybe a wire touching bare metal and or wires touching each other, but I suppose it could be I wired it wrong to the switch.