Normal Temp of the MC

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Randyb
MC crawler
MC crawler

Normal Temp of the MC

Post by Randyb » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:53 pm

I did some discing today with my MC and she kept getting warmer and wamer. She got right up to about 225 but never did make it to 230. I got a book with it when I bought it but danged if i can find it. I assume that 230 is a bit warm for it. What is the normal running temp for these. She probanbly is ready for a good flushing and possibly a thermostate. Maybe even a full boil out of the radiator. But, she pulled that disc like it wasn't even there and I enjoyed using her.
Thanks for any help,
Randy Baker
Winters, CA
John Deere MC
Cat D2
Power Wagons

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Dec 02, 2006 8:39 pm

MC is thermosiphon, no thermostat. Early MC had the temp probe in the water outlet, and never read the correct temp. Later ones were in the back of the block, and were much better. An MC is going to run hot no matter what, just the way a thermosiphon system seems to work.
If you pull the radiator, have it cleaned reall well, or replace it with a new one. At the same time, put the fan shroud off of a 40, that will help a lot.
Lavoy

wheeltool
MC crawler
MC crawler

fan shroud

Post by wheeltool » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:31 pm

I have a 40C with what looks to be MC radiator and the fan shroud does not have anything to mount to. What can I do?
John Deere 40C SN: 60180

Have a Great Day,

DJ Edman

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:15 pm

40 and MC use the same radiator, only difference is 40 has a shroud. The shroud screws to the side of the radiator itself.
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:01 pm

Hi,

Basically, ignore the temp gauge and wait for the coolant to squirt out of the vent hole in the radiator cap. That tells you when it's too hot and time to take a break. ;)

Nothing like a simple thermosiphon system. No water pump. No thermostat. No pressurization. :)

Just can't work 'em as hard, though. But, then, they do a better job of telling you when it's time to slow down and have a cold one yourself! :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

neil
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by neil » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:50 pm

Use them in the winter moving snow and its the other way around. The hard part is keeping them warm.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 11:30 pm

Only way to get an MC or a 40 to warm up in the winter is shutters. I put two sets on last year, and that is the cat's meow. If you want to go to the work of pulling the grille, you could put cardboard over the radiator.
Lavoy

Randyb
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Randyb » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:15 am

Lavoy & Stan,
Thank you for all the info. Might sound like a dumb question but could one of you explain to me what a Thermosyphon system is and how it works, never heard of one.
Randy Baker
Winters, CA
John Deere MC
Cat D2
Power Wagons

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:03 am

Hi,

All the early engines were thermosiphon. I think the Deere 40 was about the last of them, though.

They work by the principal that hot water rises and cold water sinks.

As the engine runs, it heats the water in the block and head, which passes thru the upper radiator hose and into the radiator tank.

As the fan pulls air thru the radiator tubes, it cools the water, which sinks to the bottom tank. This, in turn, pulls the warmer water downward into the tubes.

The cooler water enters the engine block thru the lower radiator hose, where it gets pulled upwards by the warmer water leaving the head.

So, you see, there's a natural flow of water thru the engine, removing heat and sending it to the radiator where it gets cooled again. It's a simple and effective system.

Effective, that is, as long as everything is working well. If there's a restriction to the water flow, or to the air flow, then things heat up quickly. Also, if the machine is overloaded, things will heat up quickly as well. That's why I said that the real indicator is water coming out of the vent hole in the radiator cap, as that means there are steam bubbles forming inside the engine - and it's time to stop and cool off a bit.

As time went on, engines became more and more powerful and the old trusty thermosiphon system could no longer handle the heat. So, they added a pump to move the water thru faster than it could naturally. They then had to add a way to slow the water back down when necessary, so that's the thermostat. Later on, they pressurized the system to push the termperature where boiling occurred higher. Finally, they changed the coolant from water to something that had a higher boiling point.

If you look at the M and the 420, they have essentially the same engine (yes, I know the 420 has a bit more displacement), yet the M has 18 MH and the 420 has 32. With that extra HP in the 420 came extra heat - and a water pump to handle it.

So, that's the story. :)

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

neil
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by neil » Wed Dec 06, 2006 1:16 pm

One thing that you have to make sure of is that the coolant level does'nt drop so far that the hot coolant can't pass up to the top of the radiator.

Randyb
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Randyb » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:11 am

Stan,
Thank you for the info. Sure glad I found this out before spending hours looking for the water pump some day. :-)
Randy Baker
Winters, CA
John Deere MC
Cat D2
Power Wagons