Another mini-meltdown

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Another mini-meltdown

Post by ggfossen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 pm

Lavoy, or anyone else who might have a suggestion...

All was going well, this PM, until the little 420 (early model) stuck in third...may have been second. I managed to motor to the shop, and park it.

I pulled the top cover, and can't see anything major wrong with the gears.

There is some wear on the shifting forks, but not a lot. There is, however, a lot of slop in the shifting lever. The guide pin (near the top of the tower) is a bit loose, and the slot in which it runs in the side of the shift lever is worn quite a bit.

Apparently, the knob on the inside end of the shift lever turned enough to slip between a couple of the fork slots, and jammed.

I'm wondering if it might be enough to tighten the quide pin, and then perhaps put a spot of weld on the worn spots on the guide pin groove, and hone them back to proper size. Also, the bearing doesn't seem to be tight enough. Perhaps I can shim that somehow??

Any suggestions, comments, ideas????

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:46 pm

Gary,
Order a new pin, bearing, and two snap rings from Deere. FIx the slot as you already thought of, put in the new pin, and new bearing. Install one snap ring, and then carefully stack the second snap ring down on top of the first one. Make sure to put a little grease in the cavity when you have the shift lever out. I would also put in a new shift boot and spring while I had it apart.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 9:20 pm

Lavoy,

I appreciate the rapid response. I assume the pin is kept in place by simply upsetting the outer end.

You mention replacing a spring? What spring? There was none, as I recall, anywhere in the top cover assembly (excluding the detents). This is the earlier model 420 with the shift pattern embossed on one side of the tower, which is part of the top plate.

Also, there is a slot that runs vertically on the inner side of the tower beside the ball on the shifter lever. Is something suppose to go into that slot?

Gary

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:13 pm

Gary,
No spring on the early ones, don't worry about that.
Not sure on the slot, but don
t believe anything goes there. Only slot that is used is the one is the shifter itself.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Mon Dec 04, 2006 11:07 pm

Lavoy,

I will fix the groove in the morning, and put it together so I can use it until the parts come in. I will order them on my next trip to town.

Many Thanks,

Gary

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:40 pm

Lavoy,

I welded up the worn spots in the groove, and installed without new parts. I did find an extra lock ring that was about the right size, but it did as such things are often want to do. It jumped out as I was trying to install it, and is forever gone in a very messy shop.

With just the groove repaired, it is much better. I will order parts tomorrow.

The extra groove, in the tower, makes snap ring removal much easier, and may be a vent? After finding it, I now realize that it is important to have a good boot.

Gary