1959 John Deere 440 clutch replaced, issues afterwards

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 1959 John Deere 440 clutch replaced, issues afterwards

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 21, 2019 8:40 am

Okay, I am going to simplify this.
Do you have a service manual, yes or no?
You absolutely do not understand the terminology or operation of the machine you are trying to diagnose the problem on, and until you do, this entire thread is pointless. I am not picking on you, I am simply stating the truth. When you ask people's help, you have the responsibility to ask them the correct questions and use the proper terminology so all of us can help you. A perfect example of this is your statement that it has never gone backwards when you pull on the steering levers. That in and of itself shows you have a limited understanding of how the crawler operates. Rather than one of us writing paragraphs on how the crawler operates, it is incumbent on you to read your manual so you understand how it works, and how to fix the problem.
There is no need to lock or delete this thread, but if you are coming here for advice, heed the advice and read your manual. Once you have done so, I have no fear that we can figure out the problem.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 1959 John Deere 440 clutch replaced, issues afterwards

Post by Stan Disbrow » Tue Oct 22, 2019 4:25 am

Hi,

Upon re-reading, I wonder if the brake and clutch pedals are binding. They are of a rod inside a tube under the trans case. Sometimes they gunk up such that they no longer move freely. Then, the brake pedal winds up applied when the clutch pedal is depressed. That limits the clutch function and leads to having the brakes engaging before the clutch disengages.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)