40C brake chatter

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
stevenh
MC crawler
MC crawler

40C brake chatter

Post by stevenh » Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:38 pm

The left side clutch makes a chattering noise at times. I opened up the inspection covers to check and adjust the clutch and noticed the chattering noise is the brake band vibrating intermittently. I can push against it with my fingers and it will stop the chattering. My question is what would cause this and how can I go about fixing it? When I adjust it by the book, I had to move the throw out bearing out so far that the hold down bolt is nearly out of the slot. The clutch and brake seem to work fine, just makes the vibrating noise. Thanks

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 40C brake chatter

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:16 am

Remove the muffler! :lol:
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:46 am

I might be inclined to pull the final to make sure it is not a bearing. Adjusting to end of slot is fine, but that would only occur if the pressure plate was very recently (in terms of hours) set with the JD7 gauge. If not, would see to me that there is a pinion bearing going bad.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

stevenh
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by stevenh » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:15 am

So I pulled the final drive off and had a look. The bearings all looked and felt good but there was too much end play in the pinion shaft. It had been apart before because the end cap with the adjusting shims had silicone stuff all through it, which would make it hard to set the preload. So I decided to replace the oil seal and put it all back together, set the preload on the shaft run it. All the clutch parts looked good and measured within the specs.

Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:20 am

Yeah, something is up, should not be any end play at all. I think that will fix your problem.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com