440 ic rebuild

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

440 ic rebuild

Post by gaspumpsam » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:55 pm

Got my toy in shop, got engine out- think I need Tylenol !!
Crank needs ground, flywheel needs resurfacing, needs block decked and cyls needs boring, one new rod, then new pistons and rebuild head. Haven’t touched finals or steering clutches yet. Ouch!!
Has had a block repair by water pump mount. Believe someone forgot the one bolt and started prying. Governor has thrust surfaces have some wear spots where fingers have been sitting, believe will look for a better block( if I can find one) 2 cyl gas engine.

PHPaul
420 crawler
420 crawler

Re: 440 ic rebuild

Post by PHPaul » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:41 am

The engine in my 420C is good. Haven't checked compression but it starts and runs and doesn't smoke or make expensive noises.

Not sure if they're compatible, but I have to make a decision whether to throw money at the trans or part the machine out.
Beautiful Downeast Maine, not fah from Bah Hahbah

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:55 am

Yes that is a big decision . If mine(440 ic) wasn’t in as good shape (( metal wise) As it is, I, to, would be thinking of parting it out.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:58 am

420 block is different.
In 30 years of doing this, I have never had a vertical 2 cylinder block that does not have taper in the cylinders, at least .030, so nothing says any other block you get is any better than yours. Rebuild yours, and then you know what you have as opposed to buying a used engine. I have long since lost count how many of these engine I have rebuilt, but it is not an issue. Pistons were out of stock a little bit ago, but are coming back. None of the rest of the pieces is a big deal. Complete rebuild kit, head to crank is around $800. Get the block bored, the crank turned, and the head rebuilt, and you will not believe how much nicer a machine they are to run.
If you decide not to reuse yours, I have a block here. I can have it cooked, magnafluxed, bored and planed prior to shipment if need be. Been working with the same machine shop for over 30 years, they are very familiar with Dubuque 2 cylinder engines. But, no reason you can't fine a local shop to do the same to yours.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Sun Oct 27, 2019 6:15 pm

Thanks for info, Lavoy! I am about to check crank pin specs to see approx how much they are going to have to grind, I am .005 under 2.500, so will have to see what specs are. Mains are under 2.500 but are reasonably good so believe .010 under on the mains. Will bore it .060 just give it more compression ( rather than .010 just to clean it up) so take about .030 off head and about .010 off block, and should have about 8:1 comp.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:48 pm

No .060 piston available, .045, .090, .125. Unless you have a late gas, doubt you can get 8 to 1, but maybe. Minimum required cut on the block, no extra room there, piston are already flush.
Lavoy

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:12 pm

Update- found an older gentleman that has had engine machine shop for many years, he grew up with these little JD crawlers.He said he can make con rod just like new! Has a set of .040 over pistons(used, but good) my block looks like a .040 bore will be good. He is a super guy, major amount of expierence, and other than he is over 100 km away, very enjoyable afternoon, listening to his stories about these old girls! He doesn’t have a crank grinder so it will have to go to another machine shop.

Pulled winch off, loads of very fine metal sludge(Tylenol bottle getting close to empty) shifter ball worn bad, pulled top of trans(5 speed) found low gear flops around, can see a brass washer that’s very worn, suspect gear and shaft are worn, but won’t know for sure, till it’s apart. It almost looks like I have the higher serial number gear set. Is that possible ? I have a low serial

Found steer levers sit about 3 inches from ea other, found someone had welded a gob onto case where lever stops rest, and didn’t do it very good. They also had brake adj bolts all way in so clutches weren’t able to disingage, backed them out and then levers would activate clutches( they will be rebuilt)
Ring and pinion are etched from moisture, but can’t see any reason why they won’t work well.
I have a actual JD 440 parts and service manual( very handy) .I also have a JD 2000 series service manual- this is no good to me and would be willing to trade it for something- if someone on here could use it.(only the 2000 series manual)

Lavoy, how do I post pics on this site?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:59 am

log in on crawler site..go to bottom of page to question and answer forum...go to "new dedicated pic server" and read info therein.

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:36 am

Is that common on a 440 ic to have first gear (5 speed) wear out? If so, does the gear wear where bearings ride?
Does anyone have these parts?
Lavoy, is there a bearing kit for trans OH, or do we order separately ?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:51 am

If the gear is worn, it is usually the teeth. I can put together all of the bearings.
Lavoy

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:33 am

Thanks. Adding this to parts order list! Should have trans apart this week, if I can get back at it. I am hoping that shaft is not worn, thinking that may be hard to find.