1010 Camshaft gear teeth

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

1010 Camshaft gear teeth

Post by wwattson » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:17 am

I've got the engine teardown nearly complete and came across some nicked corners on the front edge of some of the teeth of the camshaft drive gear. My guess is that the govenor wasn't working and that one of the govenor weights was bouncing on the gear. Does this make sense and in as far as it's just a few nicked edges should the gear be replaced?

Thanks,
Bill Wattson

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:33 pm

Bill,

I would not be concerned with a few chipped corners on the cam gear teeth as long that it did not start marking up the teeth on the mating gear (crank?).
I am not up on location of all parts involved for the 1010 but what about camshaft end play being excessive (thrust washer????)?

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:51 pm

Hey Don,

Thanks for the thought. Doesn't seem like the end play is excessive from what I can tell by hand forcing the gear in and out but that sure would explain how it got chipped and neither the crankshaft gear or the govenor gear got chipped. I've got nearly everything else pulled out of the engine at this point but haven't pulled the camshaft yet. I'll get a look at the camshaft and bearings when I pull them.

Replacing the gear might be called for at this point because as I looked at it last night, I couldn't find the timing mark. I'm guessing that it was on the front of one of the teeth and is now history. From the photos I thought it was in a valley on the camshaft but sure can't seem to locate it.
Bill Wattson