Early 1010C, 115 gas engine

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
wbeacheli
MC crawler
MC crawler

Early 1010C, 115 gas engine

Post by wbeacheli » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:25 pm

Hi. I'm new to the forum as I just bought a 1010C this summer (early model -1960 I think). Looks like there's some good info here!!!

I did some searching on the forum (and hours and hours online) and didn't find what I was looking for so here it goes.

My machine seemed under powered and consumed a lot of oil, but I kept using it hoping to make it through to the winter. Eventually the engine broke down on me, which I guess I wasn't too surprised about. I found the intake valve on one of the cylinders broken off and embedded into the piston. The valve guide was also broken. It seems like there is way to much space in between all the valve stems and rocker arms. I'm thinking this is why the valve broke. Lucky for me the cylinder wall is undamaged.

Is it a good idea to replace all the valve guides while I'm there doing one of them? Are they difficult to do (Is this something I should bring to a machine shop)? I am planning to replace all the piston rings and hone the cylinder walls and lap all the valves. I also am going to replace the intake valve seals. I guess there aren't seals for the exhaust valve???

Another thing. I found lots of parts available, but I have to be honest, I was surprised that there isn't much for aftermarket parts, especially when the cheapest piston I could find was about $200. I found a used piston on-line but then it ended up not being available after all. If it wasn't for the cost of the piston, this repair wouldn't really cost that much.

Does anyone know if there are engine aftermarket parts for this engine or where to find used parts (maybe just haven't searched the Internet enough)?

I also thought I could find a service manual (in digital format) floating around the Internet. Does anyone one have a copy to share?

Thanks. I appreciate any help and advise. I come from the world of aircraft engines, but this is my first time working on any other type of engine.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Early 1010C, 115 gas engine

Post by Lavoy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:51 pm

Welcome to the board.
No pistons available in the aftermarket for as long as I have been doing this (30 years), only Deere. I can usually get valves, gaskets, bearings and such. I would rebuilt the complete head, then it is done right. Head work is a machine shop only affair. You will need the seats ground and/or replaced, and valves ground to seal on the new seats.
There are no free service manuals, only online manuals are for download from Deere, and spendy. Manuals are available, I have them and other sources.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

wbeacheli
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wbeacheli » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:51 pm

Thanks for the response! Here's hoping it all goes well!

Where do you shop for aftermarket valve guides, seals, etc? I've found Jensales.com, Greenpartstore.com, TractorJoe.com... any others that I must check out for good/affordable parts?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:11 am

I sell parts.
Lavoy

wbeacheli
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by wbeacheli » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:07 am

I didn't realize that you sell parts...interesting. How do we order parts from you?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:21 pm

Yes I do, that is what pays for this website.
You can call me at 701-361-1006, or e-mail postmaster@jdcrawlers.com
Thanks,
Lavoy

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:26 am

Hi,

Not only does Lavoy sell parts, he sells proper parts. Dig thru the forum for stories of improper parts bought online from other sources. Such as steering clutch discs that shatter almost right away....

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)