420C tracks - beginner question.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
PHPaul
420 crawler
420 crawler

420C tracks - beginner question.

Post by PHPaul » Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:53 am

Quick Paint sketch so we're all on the same page.

Are links and pads ambidextrous or is there a specific way they go on?

Pretty sure the links have to go on as shown with the "male" end of the link pointing toward the front of the crawler when viewed from the top of the track. Yes or no? I'd have to go look at my tracks to see which way they came off. I marked them so I'd know but don't remember without looking.

The pads on mine were installed with the raised portion toward the front, again as viewed from top of the track. Most pictures I'm seeing have the raised portion at the rear. Does it matter? Is there an advantage to one way or the other?
Beautiful Downeast Maine, not fah from Bah Hahbah

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 420C tracks - beginner question.

Post by Lavoy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:50 am

Kind of two different questions. As far as orientation on the crawler, the easiest way to remember is the grouser leads, as in it touches the ground first. If you look at the back of the pad, you can see a lip that goes over the front of the next pad. Visualize dirt against that piece as the track goes around. In one direction the dirt would pass over, in the other, it would try to jam dirt in between it and the next pad, and you don't want that.
The next question is orientation of the pad on the link if you have taken the pads off, it can go on either way, but in one orientation, it will bind against the link when the links flex. That one you will have to look at, I don't remember which it is.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

PHPaul
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by PHPaul » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:17 am

Okay, thanks!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:08 pm

As Lavoy said the grouser leads. The wide part of the chain link leads, the two notches in the pad in front of the grouser should match the narrow end of the link ahead of the grouser. From a photo you posted, on your eastovershoe site, of the left track on the crawler having a com-a-long above the track; look closely at the gaps between the pads around the idler. That chain is correct, grousers leading at the wide end of the links and the notches in the pads match the narrow trailing edge of the links.

PHPaul
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by PHPaul » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:34 am

Perfect. Thanks!