40 Crawler Track Locked Up

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

40 Crawler Track Locked Up

Post by Billhc83 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:01 pm

Hello,

I have a question for those of you who know more about these crawlers than me. I have recently inherited a 40 crawler from my late father, and I really know very little about it. Long story short I would like to restore it, and I need to move it ASAP. The crawler has sat for 10 years or so and the motor is seized, but that is not really the problem ATM. The more pressing problem right now is that the right side track is locked and will not turn. I need to get it onto a trailer and I don't really see and easy way to do this without getting it freed up. My initial thought is that the brakes are locked on, so I got on it with my tractor and gave it some good jerks to try and loosen it up but no go. I have dragged it 20 feet or so and it is still not turning for me. So far I have removed the transmission cover and all the gears are free and other than a bit of water in there everything looks pretty good. Then I removed the cover for the brake area and things do "move" - unfortunately I'm not entirely sure how it all functions to know weather it is working properly. I then had a peek in the bearing cover on the drive and everything is greased up and looked alright. I then jacked up the right side of the crawler and got on the track with a bar as best I could and the drive gears "move" - or try to to be more accurate - but it is not free to turn. That is as far as I got due to rain today. I really want to keep disassembly to a minimum until I get it back to my place. So I have a coupled questions. Does anyone have advice for me going forward from here? Also what would be my best source for a repair/rebuild manual? As I said I know very little about this specific machine so be gentle :).

Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 40 Crawler Track Locked Up

Post by Lavoy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:34 pm

Something is odd, the tracks can neither turn or not turn independently unless a clutch is disengage.
I don't quite understand how it is happening, but the track that isn't turning is likely the brake locked up.
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:20 pm

Hello

This is what I thought was happening, I'm going to go at it again tomorrow. Is there a good way to free the breaks up? I have really yanked on this thing hard with my 510 and i don't think its doing much good.

Before posting here i had talked to my uncle who had one years ago and he also said it was likely the brakes.

Do you sell repair manuals for these? I am going to take some pictures of things tomorrow and get the numbers off of it.

Thanks alot for the info

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 am

Hi,

A crawler has no differential. It has a spool where the spyder gears would be in a wheel tractor differential. A 40c has steering clutches which are made-up until you pull a lever back to release a clutch. First, the clutch releases, then the brake applies. If one brake band is stuck, neither track will turn.

Only thing I can think of, is one clutch is slipping and the other side either has a frozen brake or rusted up pins and bushings.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:30 am

Ok thank you for the info. I think today i will jack the whole tractor up to better see what is happening. I said one side is turning and one side is not as that is what the skid marks showed after dragging it. But while on the tractor it was difficult to actually see what was happening in real time. Moving it a foot at a time was really all my tractor could do before spinning out. I shall continue with this post as things progress. I appreciate the insight thus far. Once i get a parts or maintenace manual it will be much clearer to me what exactly is happening. :)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:34 am

Yes, I can get manuals.
Take the little 4 bolt tin cover off of the top of the clutch housing. You will see a round "nut" that is used to adjust the brake band. Squirt it with your favorite weasel piss, take the tip of a screwdriver and see if you can back it off. If not, only real option is to get torch down in there and blow the brake band bolt..
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Bret4207
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Bret4207 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:39 pm

Have you tried jacking the stuck track up off the ground and seeing if it is frozen stiff? I had one track do that once after it sat for a long time. Took a bit of persuasion with a sledge but they freed up. Until then the track wasn't going to move at all with engine power, much less dragging.
40C, 420C, 1010C-L-BH, Cat D4

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:54 pm

I have gotten the track unstuck. As you guys suggested the brake band was stuck on. After a couple bottles of lube and some hammering i was able to get it freed. All to do now is get it moved to my place then the engine teardown will begin. Theres a picture of the old boy. Seen better days but its mostly there. Fenders are gone. I wasnt able to find a info plate anywhere on it unfortunately. I was incorrect when i had said one track was moving of course neither would move when I jacked it up. I appreciate all the help. Is there any way to identify the year and model beyond the nameplate?

Again thanks so much for the advice