Thoughts on this

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Thoughts on this

Post by Billhc83 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:56 pm

Wondering if I could get some input on this.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4nQhq9iixjKMRNLy7

Is there anything about these welds I should be concerned about, or anything I should be doing? They are on the bell housing. They are deep and run to the inside of the housing. It looks like everything is true and structurally sound. My inclination is to close my eyes and pretend I don't know about it...haha....it clean it up a bit with a grinder and call it good enough.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on this

Post by Lavoy » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:45 pm

Given the depth of the cracks and the sheer volume of cracks I think I see when I blow the picture up, I guess I would replace it. Yeah I know it sucks, but if it lets go you could be looking at broken engine, prop shaft, possibly trans damage. Not to mention hurting someone whether on the seat, or nearby. To much risk, parts and human to me to risk it for a piece that is not rare, just a pain in the ass to replace.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:58 pm

x2 on Lavoy's post. Also make sure the clutch and brake shafts, that pass through the housing, are free and well lubricated when it is being changed.

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Is the center frame the same on all 40 series tractors? Looks like they are to me. I was hoping they were just small cracks but once the engine was out the hope was gone. It has been like this for 36 years at the minimum. My father owned this since 1980 or so. From the tags on it, it was used in a mining operation when it broke. I have a lead on a 40 tractor for fairly cheap to use as a doner, might have to pull the trigger on that.

PHPaul
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by PHPaul » Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:56 am

Bill, if not, I have a 420C center section in Maine that might be cheaper to ship.
Beautiful Downeast Maine, not fah from Bah Hahbah

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:41 am

Well luck has shined down on me. My uncle had said he had a replacement engine for me from years ago when he had the same crawler. He told me he had saved it in case my father needed it. I went to see him this morning as my engine has some major problems and he actually has the entire front end, bumper to the trans so looks like I am in business for some spare parts. He has told me he had the engine rebuilt just before he had to scrap the rest of the machine due to some other major failure. He also has given me a set of new brake bands and good steering clutches. Saved me quite a bit of searching.