440 IC Any available how too videos.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tim Moisio
MC crawler
MC crawler

440 IC Any available how too videos.

Post by Tim Moisio » Mon Jan 20, 2020 1:05 pm

Hello, New to the forum and looking for direction. I am looking at a 440IC which needs a RH throw out bearing. Any "How Too" Videos out there? Can You post a link, if there is? Is the TH bearing froze and not releasing the clutch discs. The way I read the ad the final drives were rebuilt. So what might be going on?
Here is the ad for the crawler..........
"New radiator, battery, alternator, engine was rebuilt clutch both rear final drive, newer tracks,rebuilt distributor,rebuilt hydraulic Rams. This thing is a work horse needs right side throw out bearing to release steering but works just can't turn right you just have to back up and turn have manuals for it obo."
Thanks.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440 IC Any available how too videos.

Post by Jim B » Mon Jan 20, 2020 4:38 pm

I don't know of a video, but there might be.

If the right steering lever moves, adjustment could be way off or the bearing self destructed. If steering lever doesn't move something may be rusted/seized in the linkage. The right side steering clutch discs might be rusted together. Hard to tell what just what the problem is without seeing it. Also if the left steering clutch is slipping a lot it might not turn right.

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:48 am

How long had the machine set . If it sat too long the clutch discs may have froze together, not allowing the clutch to release. Sometimes, pushing the blade/bucket against a stationary object with the affected clutch handle pulled, it will break the discs free. I like bumping a tree. If this very technical approach doesn't work, you will likely have to tear the final drive off and remove the clutch pack to free it up.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:44 am

First off, my bet is it most likely doesn't need a throwout bearing, and if it does, it needs more than that. Look at it this way, if you are trying to sell me a crawler, and ALL IT NEEDS IS A $25 part, are you going to discount it to me because it does not function correctly, or are you going to spend $25 and ask $1000 more.
I have been at this way too long to fall for "All it needs is an adjustment". Additionally, if there are no receipts, what was rebuilt, and what does rebuilt mean.
As far as doing the work, buy factory parts and service manual, maybe an operators manual. They are all you need, any further questions, we can figure it out here.
Lavoy
P.S. If you are pulling a final, just assume it needs $500 to $1000 in parts.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Tim Moisio
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Tim Moisio » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:55 am

Lavoy wrote:
Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:44 am
First off, my bet is it most likely doesn't need a throwout bearing, and if it does, it needs more than that. Look at it this way, if you are trying to sell me a crawler, and ALL IT NEEDS IS A $25 part, are you going to discount it to me because it does not function correctly, or are you going to spend $25 and ask $1000 more.
I have been at this way too long to fall for "All it needs is an adjustment". Additionally, if there are no receipts, what was rebuilt, and what does rebuilt mean.
As far as doing the work, buy factory parts and service manual, maybe an operators manual. They are all you need, any further questions, we can figure it out here.
Lavoy
P.S. If you are pulling a final, just assume it needs $500 to $1000 in parts.
Lavoy
Are parts available?

Thanks gentlemen!. It is getting down to..... do I want another project and your posts help.. I am retired, I have the time and the money, but lack ambition...lol. If I do buy, I hope to make a video of the progress. Great site.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:59 pm

I sell all of the steering clutch parts, bearings, seal and misc., that might be needed.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:33 pm

first and foremost...please update your profile to add...location...someone will be near your area and may offer help...
these machine are really not that complicated...i am 76 and tore out my left steering on my jd440ic and replaced it properly with all my parts from Lavoy...i had a female for help to maneuver the final out and down, is heavy but come along or chain hoist will work or engine hoist.
First thing todo is get the manual for adjusting the steering properly, it may take a couple of times to get done to where it does function...read up all info on this site regarding jd440ic's and id440icd's you will find lots of info. and all folks here will certainly offer suggestions etc..