40C coolant leak

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
BradE
40C crawler
40C crawler

40C coolant leak

Post by BradE » Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:44 am

My 40C loses coolant slowly. Every few times I use it, I have to add a pint or so to the radiator. I see nothing on the ground. There is no white smoke coming from the exhaust, so gaskets are fine. The other day I noticed a little steam coming from the right side under the tin. Should I use a product like Bars Leak for an engine without a water pump? If so, which type would be good? Thanks.
JD 40C 4 roll 1955, snow tracks and sprockets from a 350

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 40C coolant leak

Post by Jim B » Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:59 am

You say you saw steam from under the tin. I would locate the source of the steam to see where it was coming from and if the spot could be repaired, before just dumping a sealer in to it. It might require removing the tin and running it a bit. You might get a radiator pressure tester and test for a leak with it as well. Fill the radiator to the top and lightly pressurize it while looking for coolant leaking out. Another thought is, if you always add the same amount to bring it back to the same level there is the possibility the operating level it wants to run at, is down that pint you add every time. Does it go down just that pint and stay; or does it keep going down if you don't add any?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 40C coolant leak

Post by Lavoy » Sat Feb 01, 2020 9:25 am

Cracked heads are common on 40's too. I would also look at head gasket.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com