Question on polarizing

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:05 pm

Gary,

I looked at my parts book and service manual but I was a little backwards on my thinking. I was thinking updraft carb but had choke on updraft side and not at the horizontal inlet. So it would not prevent any gas in bottom from igniting. Maybe it is to keep it from getting back to oil bath air cleaner? I will be working on mine over the next week so I will pull the intake hose off and let you know if flapper lets air in or out when in full choke position.

Have a good and safe holiday season!

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

Jimmy in NC
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by Jimmy in NC » Fri Dec 22, 2006 7:27 am

I don't have my books handy but I 've seen carbs that are set up as the negative pressure grows too large, a flap opens and allows the engine to run while the operator gets to the choke to turn it off. I have some military vehicles with carb like that. The spring pressure doesn't let the motor open up fully... just enough air to let it chug for a bit til you get the choke off.

I dunno.. I've never had to mess with my carb short of adjusting the jets just a lil bit.

Jimmy in NC
1957 420C 4 roller 4 spd #61 blade 107,xxx ser.
Hand clutches, not for everyone.
Steering clutches, for even less.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 22, 2006 10:28 am

The flapper lets air in, not 100% sure what it is for, but my guess has always been to maybe help prevent over choking.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:09 pm

So...

Without it, the tractor starts fine. I guess the only possibility is something to do with a potential backfire into the air intake system. I've never seen that on any other rigs. Curious, at best. I would be surprised if a backfire could ignite the oil in the breather.

We did, by the way, make it to Yuma. We won't be back north for maybe 3 months, so the little cat can sit and pout, with it's messed up choke. I think I will forget about it for awhile. Besides, I have to worry about axles falling off the trailer maybe where I-10 meets up with I-210 in the middle of San Bernardino where everyone drives insanely. Also, my jakes are causing my truck to do goofy things so I have to be sparing with the jakes.

I think I will forget about the 420 for a few months.

Hope you all have a grand Christmas. No doubtl that you all deserve it.

Hasta La Vista!

Gary

PS: I happen to be really fond of Tamales, Posole, Frijoles, and such.

bye