cutting out problem fixed

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

cutting out problem fixed

Post by ggfossen » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:39 pm

I ran a recent thread about my 420 cutting out under load. I changed the filter because it appeared to be partially plugged. Didn't help much. I took off the carb, and went completely through it. There was slight improvement. I decided to work it a bit, and see what happened. It gradually improved itself to the point of no problem.

After giving it some thought, I think I may have found the problem. I had used a Jerry can to haul gas for the crawler. Immediately before that, the can had been used to haul diesel fuel. I didn't think there was enough to make much of a difference, but now I'm inclined to think it was the entire problem.

Time will tell, and I might get a can of high test just to juice it up a bit, but, for now, it's running well.

Gary

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Thu Dec 14, 2006 5:42 pm

that can could have been a 1/4 full of diesel and it just would have made it smoke a lot and made the valves hot but I doubt that is your problem. I bet if you take the gas tank off and turn it upside down and shake it your going to see some stuff come out of there. I got one running for a guy that had it setting for a long time but after using it for a few hours I had to take the sediment bowl off and run a small screwdriver up the hole in the tank to get fuel to flow like it should and ended up taking the tank off and cleaning it out and no more problem. Good Luck

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:42 pm

Howard,

I thought that was going to be the problem, too (plugged fuel lines), so the first thing I did was check the fuel flow. It was good all the way through to the carb. I guess I'll know in time.

Gary

jdman123
40C crawler
40C crawler

420 Cutting out

Post by jdman123 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:42 pm

Gary,
I think it could possibly be something totally different. If it runs great without a load, then chokes completely down it could be your condensor in the distributor. Yes, I said condensor. That $3.00 part had me all confused two different machines a 430T and my other 430W. They ran fine the day before and as soon as I would load the tractor up it would almost completely stall out. Try replacing it with a new one and let me know if that fixes it.
Shawn
430W, 420C 5 roller, H, MT, L

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Thu Dec 14, 2006 7:53 pm

Shawn,

It very slowly corrected itself, today. After about an hour of pushing dirt, the cutting out stopped completely. I had added another five gallon of clean gas on top of the 5 gallon of stuff tainted with diesel fuel. That's why I think that may have been the culprit.

If it choses to pitch a fit again, I will install a new condersor. I think I have a spare.

I also will get some spare fuel filters.

Each time I run it, it seems to get a bit more dependable, and seems to run a bit better. A lot of little things needed correcting, but I think I am about to "arrive."

Thanks for the input.

Gary

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Fri Dec 15, 2006 5:48 pm

Hope it keeps running good for you Howard

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 15, 2006 6:01 pm

Gary,
Keep in mind that as the engine breaks in, it will run differently. When I run a new engine in on the dyno, there is quite a difference in how it runs from the start to the finish. They are smoother, most or all of the blowby out the breather disappears, they idle better, and just sound better in general. The more work you can do with yours the better.
Lavoy

ggfossen
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by ggfossen » Fri Dec 15, 2006 7:25 pm

Lavoy,

Yes, it is smoothing out as I run it. It's the little problems that are driving me nuts. Not a days goes by without something busting.

Yesterday, it was the tit off the flapper plate that fed into the intake side, and raised hell. Nothing broke, but I had to pull the head where it sat to make sure all was OK. It seems to start OK without the flapper, so I will leave it off.

Today, one of the screws securing the throttle plate came off, the plate slipped down, and the machine was jammed at full throttle...again in a poor place to be working on it. I had to remove the carb, run to the shop, jerk it apart, find a screw, and run back and replace it. I did fire it up and drive it to the shop...just before the sun set, but I have no idea where the screw is. I will again pull the head to make sure that it isn't about to feed into a valve or something. This time, though, I can do it under a roof. I also have to be sure that I have everything on tight and straight.

It works very well when it runs. It does not, though, charge, and that's inspite of the new regulator and gauge. I will try to re-excite it. That may get it going.

When it does run, it has an amazing amount of torque. I'm glad I put on the narrower tracks and got rid of the really deep grousers. They would break something for sure.

night

Gary