i bought a 1010C loader

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

i bought a 1010C loader

Post by Hurlbutt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 3:28 pm

My second recent 1010C acquisition has the loader which the previous owner called a “high lift”. It does not have ballast weights but does have mounting brackets for a backhoe. The sprockets look good and the track pins have a bit of flats worn in. It left Dubuque as a diesel but now has a green gas engine installed. Since the original engine is not installed, I have no serial number to refer to. The track adjusters are screw type, if that is a correct term to use. I suppose I’ll have to locate a wrench for track adjustment.

I was told this unit’s history is that it sat for three years after the previous owner died from cancer. The instrument panel had been pulled out by him for working on an electrical issue. The engine will turn over with the starter but I didn’t ask for a demonstration.

The seat is missing and the steering clutch covers are missing with the linkages exposed and a bit rusty.

I haven’t gotten it home yet. After pulling the dozer nearly 100 miles behind my S10 with it’s big bad 4 cylinder engine…… scary experience. I did put the brake controller in for the trip and the trailer braking worked well and there was no fish tailing. But, that ain't hapnin again. My Ford F350 has the 7.3l IDI engine and the oil cooler started passing oil into the coolant and putting big puddles on the ground so it currently out of service which is why I used the S10 as a towing vehicle. I finally got the O-rings to fix it. Now for the motivation part.
Bill

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: i bought a 1010C loader

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:18 am

The hooks on the back of the loader are in all likelihood just counterweight hooks, not hoe hooks. They look the same, but substantial difference in how they are tied in at the top to the loader frame, and substantially heavier material is used.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:02 pm

Claiming them to be backhoe mounts was based on what I was told. I've never been around a loader version to know what the counter weight mounting looks like, I could see there were no weights and commented on that. The response was that it must have had a backhoe on previously and that they were "factory".

I have an early Kabota BT650 hoe and have been planning on building a sub-frame for my Rhino labeled 24 hp FWD Chinese tractor with a Koyker loader and mount it there. Instead, I was thinking perhaps relocating the controls of it to the side and mounting it on the loader or the dozer. I figure the ripper mount would handle the hoe or on the loader "backhoe mount" or counter balance mount would work and the pump volume would be a lot better. Lifting the loader and turning the tractor at the same time out strips the pump on the Rhino. I think I've read if the dozer has a rear accessory the pump volume is around 23 gpm or so and the loader is similar. Adapting the hoe would be easier than building a sub-frame for the hoe that would marry into the loader frame too. Are the mounts on these units capable of handling the loads of a small hoe?
Bill

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Counterweight brackets and hoe mounts are visually identical until you look at the bracing that goes forward to the frame. Unless your crawler has a swivel seat, a diverter, and a pair of auxiliary hoses on the back of the crawler on 1" hyd line, I highly doubt it is a hoe crawler, and the counterweight brackets will not stand the stress of a hoe the way they are. You also will not have the 23PGM pump, and as it is, I think a 1010 loader operates at 1500PSI, not the 2250psi or so of your Kubota.
I would never mount a hoe of any size to loader arms unless it is one of the single arm skidsteer units. Even on a skid steer with an actual hoe mounted to the bucket mount, there are usually brace straps that go back to the frame of the skid steer someplace to distribute the torque of digging with the arm I believe, but could be wrong.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:44 pm

I have a lot to learn. I'm glad I have you people as a resource. I'm going to be looking at the references I thought I knew something from and find where I went wrong.

I didn't know there was a swivel seat for the 1010C. I haven't seen pictures of a backhoe installation but have for a boom and for that the operator sat over the right track. My dozer has more room on the left side so I thought the hoe controls could be moved to the machine's left side and the operator over the left track.

The loader does have large hydraulic lines hanging out the back and I noticed there was no PTO shaft but my dozer does have the PTO. Perhaps it had a winch at sometime. when I get the loader home I'll get to compare it to the book and learn the actual configuration.

Thanks for your guidance
Bill