j440ic new 6 blade fan

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

j440ic new 6 blade fan

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:09 am

well folks, think i found my problem with overheating my radiator. Looks liken i mite have mounted the new fan backwards and is now pushing instead of pulling thru. Sure aint handy taking apart and saving fluids! ...would think 6 blades should move enough pushin versus 4 blades pulling, tho it sure did overheat, of course sitting still doesn't help much either.
Best i remember is my engine turns to the right when sitting the the seat, if that is so right now my leading edge on front cannot pull air thru radiator. Will have to see if flipping orients the other way.
problem developed when my 4 blade blew off one of the blades and caused leak in radiator.

got a rebuilt from Lavoy, but am anxious to see if my donor pump will do the job correctly, made my own gaskets which are about 3 times thkr than orig, so got concerned maybe not good for tolerances etc. will see and advise
Last edited by dtoots1 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: j440ic new 6 blade fan

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:16 am

You can't change airflow by reversing fan, but you might be able to adversely affect flow. Can't remember, is your radiator new?
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:45 am

not new been to rad shop and fixed leak, but clean and solid.
guess wii have to fire her up and see if runs hot again. been awhile since checked

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:33 pm

well ran her for 10 minutes and she ran up temp again... i checked fan belt and that appears to be too loose, kinda hard to tighten with assembled....i think needs to be tight enough to turn engine by hand??? i know loose will cause problem. skips yet and don't turn blade.

thoughts???? comments??

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:38 pm

Check temp with infrared thermometer to make sure reading is accurate?
Does the engine have the heat shield in place, that will lead to false reading on the temp gauge.
Lavoy

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:47 pm

hood is off.. heat shield don't know where supposed to be or even looks like...2 plates at sides mount to bullnose is all. have not flipped fan as yet. will get belt a bit tighter yet....tho need to know if needs tight enough to turn engine?

she worked very well before blew blade , temp gauge stayed very close to beginning of safe range and rarely went to mid range.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:53 pm

Bolts on around carb and goes between exhaust manifold and the water manifold, look in your parts book. Running without is can give false reading at the temp gauge due to the manifold heat.
Lavoy

gaspumpsam
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by gaspumpsam » Mon Mar 23, 2020 1:47 pm

Check rotation- sitting in seat looking forward- top of flywheel should turn left.
At least mine does!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Mar 23, 2020 2:31 pm

The fan needs to be flipped if you haven't done that yet, it will not work correctly if turned the wrong way. The leading edge needs to cut into the air and scoop air back along the cupped curve of the blade. If you are setting in the seat looking at the fan, it turns counterclockwise. The belt should deflect about 1/2", or a bit less, if you push in on it at the center of its longest free run (left side between the water pump and crank pulleys). That may or may not turn the engine depending on compression, belt condition, and condition of the pulleys. *Another quick check of tension is you should not be able to turn the generator/alternator if you try turning it by its fan.* If the belt is tight, but skipping and not turning the blade, there could be a problem with your donor pump.

(* Brain cramp, I forgot those have separate belts so trying the generator/alternator pulley won't work.)

The heat shield (baffle) is item 13 on this parts catalog page. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... pgId/63223

Jim
Last edited by Jim B on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 3:15 pm

believe you folks are correct...turns left when in seat..and i think blade is on correct as cutting edge of blade is facing down on the left side front facing it from behind...so either fan belt too loose or pump gasket not in tolerance or donor not good. will see once i try again, probably tomorrow...if no go i gotta work on putting rebuilt one on and fix few other minor probs while there.
was thinking turned to the right when in seat.
believe that heat shield is there.

by the way new belt and thermostat hoses etc in..

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 11:00 am

in effort to make sure when putting 6 blade fan on rebuilt pump...currently it is on my donor with the paddle that the blade itself is riveted to ...the paddles are on the backside toward the engine...my new belt tension is still way too loose and i note that my locking bolt for the pulley is actually catching on corner of the paddle structure. when assembled i had never seized the pulley threads and tightened by hand as far as i could then bumped it further with hammer and block of wood. currently looks like is pinching between the pulley slopes as few fuzzes on edge of belt. i had painted the pulley and maybe should have left clean.

that tells me it needs tightened more
will be working on it more today

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:12 pm

Paint on the belt faces of the pulley isn't going to help you. It may embed into the belt, cause dragging during adjusting, and increase slippage when running. If the pulley was backed way off it may take several adjustments to get the belt to work its way up to where it is running right and stays tight. Tighten it some, then crank it over and try tightening more. This photo may help you confirm you fan blade orientation. Its a 2030 but it turns the same direction and they should look similar. You'll get it, I'm sure.
Jim

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:50 pm

Thanks Jim,
i thought it was correct. ran it 5 mins and it run temp up to redline, shut it off and i know i overfilled it as was unto lip...also soon as i started her up i had excess water come out the overflow and same happened when shut it off.

i suspect it is my donor pump and surely hope it ain't something else.

will be pulling her apart and put rebuilt pump in.

let me know if that is sign of other problem

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:22 pm

It wasn't overheating prior to the water pump failure was it? You didn't get it way hot when the pump failed did you? If the pump is the only thing changed, I would install the rebuilt pump. Do you have the right gasket(s) for it?

Did you change the thermostat? Is it possible you slipped and got it in backwards if you did?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Mar 25, 2020 2:56 pm

not overheating prior to failure.
Gaskets from Lavoy, however the one from backing plate to block does not to seem to be correct...mine does not have oval hole and bolt holes do not match....didnt get her hot when blade broke, tho lost a bit of coolant.....put donor on with new coolant., belts and thermostat and fan pulled out about 10 feet and cleaned up some mud and noticed her getting hot so shut it down, was up to the red line when noticed, today i refilled it with a bit less than gallon and still overheats...i did check thermostat and will do so again since close by anyhow while new pump goes in..

if still an issue will take donor head in to check it out and switch em...dont see milky oil in crank as checked that today...