Breaking the chain on a 1010

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 20, 2006 8:22 pm

Don't mistake a portable track press for a master pin press. There were portable track presses if you wanted to rebush a set of rails in the field.
I think WTC wants somewhere over $500 for their gold plated manual master pin remover, but it has been several years since I priced it.
Lavoy

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:35 pm

I bet you're pretty close on the price. I would have guessed $700 at today's prices. What the heck, I'll give themm a call and find out. Anyone ever use one of these manual master pin removers?
Bill Wattson

lastchancegarage
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by lastchancegarage » Thu Dec 21, 2006 4:08 pm

stmftr395 wrote:I also recently removed my 1st set of tracks from a crawler(1010). Tried a few whacks with a 20lb double jack, but did not like the stress placed on the sprocket(had the master pin located as shown in manual). I removed one cleat and took some mesurements then proceded to make a pin removal jig. After a few reneforcement/weld repairs I had a tool that along with a 10 ton porta power removed the pins with little hammering and no injuries. Took 60 minutes to press the pins out. I had looked online for pin removal tools and fabricated a simpler version using my porta power. I did design the tool so as to be light enough(2" x 2" tube) for field use. Hopefully I will never need to use it out of the shop though. Mark.
Mark,
Any chance you could post a picture of your jig? I'm curious how you anchored the porta power. Thanks

Scott
Keep the tracks down and the torque up!!

1959 JD 440 ICD dozer
1959 Case 310B backhoe w/belly grader option
195? ATC GT-25 dozer
19?? Stow 1 ton roller w/rare cooler option!

digitup
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by digitup » Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:19 pm

Deere have a pin pusher tool you can build with a welder and some HSS rod in the repair manuals But you still have to find a steady handed idiot to hold it while YOU hit it with the sledgehammer.I got a couple pushers kicking around but never can find anyone steady and crazy enough to run them.Digitup.

wwattson
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by wwattson » Mon Dec 25, 2006 7:20 pm

Well, I decided to call in a nuke strike and settle it. Pulled off the shoes either side of the pin, torch cut the pin and bushing out of the center, burned though the center of the pin and drove it out. With one side out, a little heat on the opposite side link was enough to pop it out.

The other side looks more interesting. It has what appears to be a master pin only it is flush to the opposite side link with no snap ring. It almost looks like a regular press fit pin only it has a head on it like a master pin and it is in a master link. Anybody got an idea what I'm up against? I thought maybe a regular link was used on the other side and the pin is pressed in and cut off flush.
Bill Wattson

whybill
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by whybill » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:30 pm

When I split the tracks on the 420 I found that some one in the past had broken the master pin on the side where the snap ring goes and had welded it and either piened it over with a hammer or had grounc it almost flush with the chain. I used a grinder and did grind it Flush and proceded to drive it out with a punch and hammer (large 10lb+). It took a couple of days and lots of sweat and iced tea (it was July) might be what they have done to yours. Itt seems to me that I may have used a torch and heated things up a little also.

Lots of luck

Bill
Bill 420c dozer 5 roller

N. E. Alabama
older is better just keep it greased