Spark plug wire location

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Spark plug wire location

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:47 am

have you c hecked your hydraulic oil?should be clear.

your rollers all should be greased with a low pressure grease gun and with 00grease which is available at TSC in quart bottles, s.b. greased every time you use it, track adjusters use regular grease or big wrench if not hydraulic.

can starter shop set up starter for 12 volt? if not Lavoy owner if this site can rebuild or may have parts to do so., any parts you gNOTet should be available from Lavoy, as all his parts are made for these machines...do not buy internet steering clutches from internet as are known to NOT be good...break!!...parts delivery usually within week..

read all you can on this site and learn all you can..

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:00 pm

sent you a private message...access next to login

leather
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by leather » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:06 pm

I assume the starter is set up for 12 volt already. They're rebuilding it the way it is.
book recommends 140 oil for idlers and rollers. I checked a couple of the rollers and they had oil in them. was anxious to use it so didn't bother with them. I guess I will have to get a low pressure grease gun. Never heard of that before. Is 140 okay to use in the tranny also?
Hydraulic oil does look clear
I change the oil in the air filter.
Change the oil in both final drives. 80w 90.
Still have to check support idler
Left side steering clutch is stuck. I think it was this page I was reading a couple of different ways to get it to break loose. Going to try holding back on the lever, short of hitting the break, next time I use it. See if it will break loose. sure would be nice to be able to turn either way instead of backing up to get point in the right direction

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:25 pm

go to the search engine and read all you can relative to jd440...i actually had to go thru entire left brake and replace clutches and brake band...my brake band actually broke in half..the steel itself. i am now 77 and did that job when i was 76...believe total cost was like $650 for all parts

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 2:41 pm

Distributor 180 degrees off has no effect on order of wires.
If the distributor is off 180, the oil pump has been installed wrong as well.
Only way to determine if the oil pump is installed wrong is the terminal on the side of the dist. If it faces basically straight out from the block, it is correct, any significant change from that means it is wrong, but again has no effect on plug wires.
Firing order is 1-2, counter clockwise on the dist, first terminal goes to #1, second to #2.
Highly unlikely that the starter has been changed to 12 volts, I'm sure they just threw a 12 bolt battery in there and went to town. Which also means you will start burning points unless they installed a ballast resistor, or internally resisted coil. If they left the original coil, I would guess that the polarity on it wrong as well.
Best lube for rollers now is Corn Head Grease, and yes you need a low pressure grease gun, I have them in stock.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

leather
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by leather » Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:29 pm

I just bought one at harbor freight. It says 4500 PSI. There is a condenser inside the distributor.
The starter is being rebuilt 12 volt. He just called me said it was done and I asked them about that. He said they would change it to 12 volt. It was 6. I guess that's why I burn it up so easy.
I understand the firing order doesn't change, but the positioning of the terminals crosses the wires now. The wire connected to the distributor is on the back side not the front.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:05 pm

4500 is high pressure, you will blow up a seal sooner or later.
If the wires cross, they cross, but firing order has to be 1-2, no alternative.
Looks like the oil pump was installed wrong, but it will still run fine, just occasionally it will short the ignition out if a leaf or something gets between the dist and the block.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:23 am

Hi,

On the running out of gas issue, there is a filter screen *inside* the carb. Pull the fitting loose where the fuel line connects to the carb. There is a filter screen in there. It traps crud that gets past the bowl and the screen atop the bowl at the tank. If you still have a screen atop the bowl, that is. When those get gone, this is when the one in the carb plugs up.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

leather
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by leather » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:28 am

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't know that because I just left that alone when I took the carb off(all three or four times) It probably is jammed up.

leather
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by leather » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:29 am

And yes, there is no screen at the top of the bowl

leather
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by leather » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:31 am

I blew air through it in both directions while I had it off. But yeah I bet it's dirty

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Sat Apr 11, 2020 5:57 am

If you imagined yourself rotating the distributor cap 180 degrees with the wires still attached, the wires would uncross themselves. So wires crossed is correct if the terminals are on the side away from the engine.

The oil specifications call for 10W30 in the engine in summer, 5W20 in winter, same oil replaced in air cleaner cup at each oil change, 80W90 in transmission and final drives, AW32 in hydraulic system, 140 in rollers and front idlers.

Nowadays it is better to use AW46 in the hydraulics and corn head grease in the rollers. I strongly recommend draining and refilling the hydraulic tank every fall to keep the ice out of the system. (Deere wanted that done twice a year)