40c final drive housing pin

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

40c final drive housing pin

Post by Billhc83 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Hello I a working on fixing my final drives (thank you Lavoy for the parts) and I have encountered a problem with one of my drives. On the inside of the housing there are two pins that sit in the clutch housing. Do or are these pins supposed to move? I am finding that both pins on one drive are not flush on the inside of the housing. They are pushed in at least a half to three quarter inches and are interfering with the bull gear. This is a new gear as the one I removed had a broken tooth, the original I notice is wore in these spots where the pins are. Unfortunately I have the drive mostly together and didn't think of this being an issue. Am I going to have to disassemble this again and somehow cut these off? Any advice is appreciated.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 40c final drive housing pin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:21 pm

They are pressed into the case, and should not move. Something has hit them and driven them in some, or I have seen on rare occasion that they loosen up and start moving.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 5:28 pm

Ok thank you,

So looks like disassembly and trying to cut the back of the pin off is where I'm likely at. They are very solid and not loose. Both pins are the same so it's hard to say what someone has done.

Thanks for the input.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Apr 15, 2020 6:00 pm

Wow, should not move at all without a really big whack with a hammer. See if you can wiggle them with a vise grips or something like that. You want them full length, one or the other is the brake band anchor pin.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Billhc83
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Billhc83 » Wed Apr 15, 2020 7:41 pm

Well had an 18" pipe wrench on it and it wouldn't budge. So I took it back apart and rigged up a piece of steel pipe with a rather large c clamp to push them back through. Thanks again for all the information about how it was put together.