Steering clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
RandyG
MC crawler
MC crawler

Steering clutch

Post by RandyG » Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:23 am

Hey guys. My left hand steering clutch on my 1010C crawler isnt working. The guy I bought from said it needed a cutter bin. Does this sound right or is there gonna be more to it when I tear into it. I pull back on it and it does nothing. Thanks for the help in advance.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering clutch

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:56 am

Randy,
do y0u have the manual for it...it has instructions on how to adjust the clutches/brakes properly....read thru and follow exactly as instructed, once you go thru the procedures you will find out what part may be missing. sounds like something may have come disconnected

also in login box is access to your profile...list your location someone may be nearby for local help.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:29 pm

My general thought on anyone seller that says, "Oh, it only needs this" would just have done it if that is all it needed. Assuming he means cotter pin, but I can't see how that could affect anything unless the pin it is holding in fell out. Either way, guessing you need to pull the final to fix the problem.
Parts are no issue, all normally in stock.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

RandyG
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by RandyG » Thu Apr 16, 2020 7:59 pm

I dont have a manual with it. I have have been looking online to see if I could come across one. I will definitely add my location. That was my first thought Lavoy, I'll tear it down and see what I find. You guys have been a great help.

Randy

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:19 am

Welcome to the board.

You may have the following info but I'll put it out in case you don't. If you are looking for a free service manual on line you can download or use, it is not likely you will find one, those usually have to be purchased. (I've looking over the years never have found a free service manual for the 1010Cs.) There are a few others that have ended up on line, but not many compared to the number of different machines out there. Hopefully you can connect with coxy and get the operator's manual he has. That will give you operating info, lubrication, adjustments, service intervals, etc., things and operator or owner normally takes care of. You will need the service manual for repair info for doing repairs. The John Deere publication number for the 1010C service manual you need is SM2034. (The SM2033 manual is for the 1010 wheel tractors and doesn't have info about final drives and steering clutches as far as I know.) Lavoy sells manuals from his store (which provides this site for us to use), send him an email or give him a call and it is very likely he can supply you with a good manual, at a fair price, for your crawler. If you go else where beware that some of the reprints people are selling out there are poor print, photo, and drawing quality. The quality, and completeness of info, of the cheap digital copies being sold can be suspect as well.

John Deere, like a number of manufacturers, does give on line access to the parts catalogs. Here is a link to the JD site. https://jdparts.deere.com/servlet/com.d ... andingPage. You don't have to sign in to use the catalogs. Enter 1010 in the model search box and click search. That will take you to a list of machines having 1010 in the name, scroll down to find the 1010 Series Crawler Tractors (PC727), Click on that and it will open the catalog. Or enter PC727 in the model search box on the homepage and it will go right to that catalog. Being able to have a part number and the correct name for a part will help when asking details about things on a forum or when doing a search. Also the blade, loader or any other equipment on your crawler will have separate parts catalogs (and manuals for some). JD didn't include those things in the tractor catalogs until late in the 350 series time frame.

Lavoy will be the place to start when you need manuals and parts. He works on these as well as selling parts, so he knows what is good and what isn't and will be there to assist, not like most of the on line parts peddlers.

Good luck and enjoy your crawler.
Jim