Stuck steering clutch.

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
leather
40C crawler
40C crawler

Stuck steering clutch.

Post by leather » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:08 am

I have a stuck steering clutch on a 440 IC. It appears to be adjusted all the way out.
I backed the brake adjustment off, and can feel it pushing on the fingers, but it won't release.
Tried pushing against a tree and working the lever. Didn't work.
I tried squirting PB blaster, but don't know how it's put together in there, and thinking that it's not going to get between the plates from the inspection holes.
I remember reading someone saying to tie the lever back while I'm using it. Didn't try that yet.
Also remember reading someone saying they filled the compartment with diesel fuel. Might try that next. Any ideas short of tearing it down? Would be nice to be able to turn into both directions

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Stuck steering clutch.

Post by Jim B » Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:57 am

Those are dry clutches. Penetrating oil. diesel fuel, oil, etc. should not be on them. Contamination can lead to failure/slipping. People do many things that are not proper, sometimes it works, sometimes the result is worse than if such was not done: such is the case with filling the compartment with diesel. You may still have to pull it apart if you fill it with diesel and replace parts you might have just cleaned up before the diesel. This won't be what you want to hear, but my opinion is tear it down and fix it right if it hasn't broken free. JMHO

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:50 am

Leather,
As JimB stated you cannot lubricate the discs nor brakes to loosen...any oils will contaminate and ruin the clutches and brake lining....the clutch MAY after some extended use eventually break loose....however after you get disgusted enough you will probably do just what i had to do....my brake band itself had actually broken in half and i had to take my left side completely apart and while doing so i found it in 2 pieces....yes you can operate it with only 1 clutch but is aggravating...
Basically you need to drive dozer up on planks or railroad ties on smooth floor....literally so you can get under it....belly pans need removed , hitch comes off, left track will need split so can get sprocket off and then into the brake/clutch.....that is heavy so need some mechanical method to hold up while sliding out and also needs turned clockwise towards the rear to clear and remove. the book shows a half circle rod tool that you can make to enable you to hang the whole thing and handle it...

i drove dozer up on 2 2x8 planks under each track and had enough room to get under it....course am only 140lbs so fit under it.....you also have to break loose and take out left dozer blade mount from that side before it will come off...

i do have the gauge for setting the pressure plate, when bolting it back on the..flywheel?... you will actually need some small clamps for each ear so can even get the bolts/nuts started...then use the gauge to set the fingers properly with the lock nuts /bolts under the fingers.

keep posting

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:11 am

Everybody always posts their magic fix for stuck steering clutches, but I doubt most of them have ever gotten one unstuck, it is more of an old wives tale type thing. ANY product other than water just destroyed the clutches anyway, so getting them unstuck as an ultimate goal will usually result in removing the final and replacing clutches if you get them unstuck as they are now junk. Not to mention if they are that rusted, most likely there are other components in there that are now rusted and won't turn, adjust, etc.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com