jd440ic..engine clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

jd440ic..engine clutch

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 10:09 pm

My engine clutch seems to be giving me problems all of a sudden.

Been doing fine parked it in shed and today i went out and started it up and all gears wanted to grind when attempting to put in gear. i shut it off and turned key and moved machine forward, so my clutch is actually engaged with the pedal to the floor.

is that simply needing adjusted?, which entails taking the belly pan off so can get to the adjuster, if so is gonna be a ride to get in garage and shut off before i run thru the dang wall, cause i sure aint doing that on gravel/mud floor in shed...can not use short wrench to adjust or break loose.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: jd440ic..engine clutch

Post by Jim B » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:06 am

How long has it been since you last ran it? Adjustment should not have changed just setting there.

Was it working properly when you parked it?
Does it feel the same when you push it to disengage as it did before? (free play and force required)

If the answers are yes to both I am guessing the clutch disc is stuck to either the flywheel or pressure plate. If the free play is different and the pedal pushes with little force, something might have broken. It might be the pilot bearing seized, but it would seem like that should have caused some dragging/hard shifting last time you ran it. If you get it out where you can run it around while holding the pedal down and hitting the foot brakes, it may break free if it is a stuck clutch disc.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:06 am

Thanks JimB,
Setting about a week after i power washed it and cleaned mud off...
Have had no trouble shifting even when i put it back in shed and pedal feels same as always.

So would seem to be stuck clutch and i will try to do as suggested once weather dries up again....will have to start in gear to begin with unless it just happens to free itself up.....i sure don't relish pulling belly pan etc....

gus
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by gus » Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:08 am

Power washer......

They have a way of putting water where it doesn't belong!! 😉

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:25 am

Got it....She was just trying to be cantankerous!!!...make a body worry!!