Removing manifold from my MC

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Randyb
MC crawler
MC crawler

Removing manifold from my MC

Post by Randyb » Mon Dec 18, 2006 9:32 pm

I have to replace the manifold on my MC. I have been applying penetrating oil for the last week and a half. I received the new one today so it is time for it to come off. I don't know if it has ever been off in the last 55 years. I would really like to get the bolts out of there without breaking them off. I know about heating them up some, anybody have any other tricks up there sleave that might work?
Thanks,
Randy Baker
Winters, CA
John Deere MC
Cat D2
Power Wagons

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:01 pm

About the easiest way to do it is to break the old manfold into pieces. Usually the long bolt will stick itself in the manifold so bad that it will never turn. If you break the manifold up, you can turn the cast iron that is stuck to the bolt and hopefully rotate the bolt out.
Lavoy

hunter41mag
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by hunter41mag » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:09 am

Randy,

Sometimes it helps to whack the head of the bolt with a hammer. Even better if you can put a box wrench on the bolt and put slight pressure in direction of removal and than have someone whack the bolt head with a hammer.

Don
Eastern PA
440IC

Randyb
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Randyb » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:42 am

Lavoy/Don,
I will try both of your ideas. I have smacked the end of the bolts with a hammer but hadn't tried doing it while applying pressure. So, after breaking up the old manifold I will try to remove the bolts in this way. If all else fails I will get out the torch. I would rather not with the thought of fire in mind but I will drap wet towels over the gas tank and anywhere else I feel might be a likley place for fire.
Thanks again/happy holidays,
Randy Baker
Winters, CA
John Deere MC
Cat D2
Power Wagons

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:21 pm

If you have an air chisel either put a punch in it or chisel and put it on the head or nut what ever you have at an angle to turn the bolt off and just give it a little bit of trigger and let it vibrate for a good while I have had good luck with this as it vibrates the rust out. You can also put it strait on the bolt and that will work a lot of times but I have had better luck at an angle. Good Luck

Howard Yoder
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Post by Howard Yoder » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:22 pm

If you have an air chisel either put a punch in it or chisel and put it on the head or nut what ever you have at an angle to turn the bolt off and just give it a little bit of trigger and let it vibrate for a good while I have had good luck with this as it vibrates the rust out. You can also put it strait on the bolt and that will work a lot of times but I have had better luck at an angle. Good Luck