Governor Removal

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
JDCrawlerdog3
420 crawler
420 crawler

Governor Removal

Post by JDCrawlerdog3 » Wed May 06, 2020 8:29 am

Hi Folks.

Looking for some insight on removal of the governor on a 420C. RPMs ramped up (screaming) and stayed there while skidding out the last tree of the season. The linkages are fine, so anticipate the weights are stuck/internal issue.

The crawler is a ways up n the woods, hooked onto the log arch, etc. Looks like a field repair. Can I get the governor off without removing nose tin, fan, belts, etc.? Look too tight. Thoughts, or should I pack lunch?

Thanks.

Andrew

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Governor Removal

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 06, 2020 8:45 am

You might be able to get it off, but it will suck. I guess it just depends on how big of a suck level you want to put up with. You could try pulling the air cleaner first, see if you can get at all of the bolts, and then go from there. Be careful you don't drop the thrust washer down into the pan when you pull the governor shaft.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

JDCrawlerdog3
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JDCrawlerdog3 » Wed May 06, 2020 4:43 pm

Based on Lavoy's encouragement, I went for it. Well that was fun. Very high coefficient of suckage. Sticking my head in a bag of bees would have been better. Fortunately the black flies are now out in mass which added to the fun. I did not have the opportunity to drop the thrust washer into the pan. Looks like someone beat me to it. There was NO washer, and likely the source of the issue. Because of the lack of a thrust washer, it looks like the governor has moved back toward the rear bushing. I can feel a ridge around the bushing where the back of the drive gear is making contact with the bushing. I am going to check with a mirror to see a little better. The weights look like they have been contacting the block, leaving wear marks above and below the pivot point on the weights.

I guess I could just source a new thrust washer (anyone have one?) without messing with the governor, which seams to operate fine. My guess is that the governor was replaced before, the housing has remnants of JD green. The block is yellow. I have had the crawler for close to 25 years, so it has hung in there for a while without the washer, impressive!

Thoughts?

Andrew

JDCrawlerdog3
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by JDCrawlerdog3 » Wed May 06, 2020 5:57 pm

Added note: the wear is coming from the weights making contact with the timing gear.

Andrew

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed May 06, 2020 6:24 pm

Check how much slop the weights have on their pivot pins, that is most often the problem if they start whacking the timing gears.
Washer I have in stock, think I am out of stock on thrust bearing.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com