JD 440IC water in the engine

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

JD 440IC water in the engine

Post by Swanybawanie » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:47 am

Just recently bought a 440IC dozer, there’s water in the engine, water is due to the dozer being uncovered, the undercarriage is in very good shape, has very low hours (500). last time it ran was 2 years ago, the only problem the owner had with the dozer was to tighten up the left track periodically, then the starter went out, so it sat there since. The owner thought he had it covered but wasn’t, let all that rain in. Have not checked the clutch, or drive train or anything, yet.

Pulled the head off, it was plumb full of water, no rust.
Pulled the oil plug out came lots of water then thick sludge.

Cleaned the top of both pistons dry, sprayed with JB Blaster, left side piston soaked it down good inside but the right side piston didn’t, tapped top of the both pistons with steel pipe, Tried turning the crankcase pulley with threaded bolts in the holes and tried turning with breaker bar, the bolts started bending so I stopped, couldn’t get enough torque, is there a stronger way to fasten to the pulley?

I’m sure the block is not cracked due to freezing, there’s no leaks of any kind, and also we live in a very warm climate in Alabama lol.

I’m willing to take out the engine
Is it hard to take off?

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 440IC water in the engine

Post by gregjo1948 » Fri Jun 05, 2020 2:01 am

Take the oil pan off, remove the rod bearing caps, push the free piston out, rotate the crank away from the stuck piston, then try to free the stuck piston.Once you get both pistons out, remove the ridge at the top of the cylinders, hone the cylinders, install new rings, bearings and etc. Kind of a dirty rebuild!!!!!!
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 05, 2020 7:16 am

Engine is not difficult to remove. If you do not already have them, you need a parts and service manual.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Jun 07, 2020 7:25 pm

I have loosened all the engine bolts, removed the alternator, the head, exhaust manifold, radiator, fan, coil, breather, distributor, what’s left is the front end of the dozer, I can wiggle the engine with a breaker bar, watched “farmer John” YouTube video on removing the engine, says something about remove the dust pan, with a long extension socket, haven’t done that yet, I’m taking my time, taking pictures, marking stuff so it’ll be easier when they go back together,yuk yuk. About the manual mister Levoy, I’ll go ahead and order it, need all the help I can get!