420 left steering sticks

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

420 left steering sticks

Post by Weekendcooker » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:38 am

So the right steering is fine but it seems like the left stick is much more harder to pull back , I've heard of guys soaking them in kerosene but has anyone on here ever done that or any other trick to loosen the stick lever up ?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 420 left steering sticks

Post by Jim B » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:01 am

DO NOT soak or put oil of any type on dry clutches. Check the linkages to see if you can find a tight spot, such a spot you may be able to carefully lubricate. If you track it back to the steering clutch itself a teardown is the proper fix. Try adjusting both sides by the manual, in the order given. Can you tell if the clutch is disengaging and you are having to pull hard to get the brake to take? That might be rust on the drum. After adjusting, some run time may improve it, if it has been setting.

Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Weekendcooker » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:01 am
DO NOT soak or put oil of any type on dry clutches. Check the linkages to see if you can find a tight spot, such a spot you may be able to carefully lubricate. If you track it back to the steering clutch itself a teardown is the proper fix. Try adjusting both sides by the manual, in the order given. Can you tell if the clutch is disengaging and you are having to pull hard to get the brake to take? That might be rust on the drum. After adjusting, some run time may improve it, if it has been setting.
Ok thanks Jim , I've never worked on these before so it's all new territory for me.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:24 pm

If you have not already, get a set of manuals, you will need them. Then go through the clutch adjustment procedure and see if that helps.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Weekendcooker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:06 am

Lavoy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:24 pm
If you have not already, get a set of manuals, you will need them. Then go through the clutch adjustment procedure and see if that helps.
Lavoy
Ok , thanks Lavoy

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am

If you don't have the manuals Lavoy can very likely help you get the right ones through his store.

Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Weekendcooker » Sun Jun 07, 2020 12:09 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 10:22 am
If you don't have the manuals Lavoy can very likely help you get the right ones through his store.
Thanks Jim , I have a manual that I've had for awhile , i will have to look and see if its the right one that will tell me the procedures for how to adjust the steering.

Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Weekendcooker » Fri Jun 19, 2020 6:29 am

Lavoy wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 10:24 pm
Lavoy
Hi Lavoy , this one is gonna be a bit windy so I appoligize , I took the cover off the housing along with the round barrel bung , looked rusty and wet so i pulled the bottom plug off and had about half a cup of rusty water come out. I noticed on what looks like a small bracket just inside the cover to the farthest outward point there is a pin with a cotter key missing ( i had the right side cover off to compare ). Both pin and cotter key are gone , so it looks like i will need to pull the track , final drive , to get a pin replaced on the bracket which looks like it activates the brake. So I guess what I'm asking is, are there any special tools required to pull all this apart and replace ( hyd press ) , and since i cant get the steering adjusted i might as well replace the clutch , pressure plate , springs and everything that i can while its apart , it looks really wet and rusty , prolly need a gauge to set the clutch pack also , thanks , Scott

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Jun 19, 2020 7:56 am

Guessing one of the brake band pins came out, been there, done that. No special tools needed other than the ability to swear like a sailor, and if you don't know how to do that, you will learn.
If I pull a final drive for any reason, I always look at every component in there as well as the seal and bearings in the pinion shaft of the final drive. I do not want to have to pull the finial again, so I fix everything while I am there.
My steering clutch kits include the gauge to set the pressure plate, I have all of the springs in there housing reproduced now, so no issue there. Look at the steering lever shaft bushing while you can get at it too, they are often worn, and it makes steering adjustment a little tougher.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:14 pm

Pulling the final on a small dozer seems more daunting than it really is. The big parts are relatively easy to man handle, and the internals are easy to decipher if you have a manual. Take a slow and deliberate approach. I found the process easier than expected. Just readjusted my clutches and steering brakes. Took only a couple of hours, start to finish. It’s been three years since I did my rebuilds with help from members on this site. I bought most of my parts from Lavoy. Good luck.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Weekendcooker » Mon Jun 22, 2020 1:00 pm

Paul Buhler wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 5:14 pm
Pulling the final on a small dozer seems more daunting than it really is. The big parts are relatively easy to man handle, and the internals are easy to decipher if you have a manual. Take a slow and deliberate approach. I found the process easier than expected. Just readjusted my clutches and steering brakes. Took only a couple of hours, start to finish. It’s been three years since I did my rebuilds with help from members on this site. I bought most of my parts from Lavoy. Good luck.
Thanks Paul , Lavoy has been a huge help along with the members in here as well , got my track and sprocket off , now tryin to get the final drive housing off , i got it to move a lil bit so a lil more cussin and swings with the dead blow hammer and i should get it , lol

Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Weekendcooker » Fri Jul 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Ok , so i got the final drive removed , got the old throwout bearing removed , now to get the cam off so i can grease the balls behind the cam do i take the 6 bolts out from the quill , doesn't really show much in the manual.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:48 pm

What do you have for a manual? Name, publication number? if you don't have the right manual you may not have the info you need.

My manual (SM2019) says "To remove the cam, uncouple the clutch throw out rod ball joint (figure 145-10-8) and disconnect the four springs. Cam and balls can now be pulled out." Figure 145-10-8 is a picture of the throwout bearing cam with the parts associated with it identified. HTH
Jim

Weekendcooker
420 crawler
420 crawler

Post by Weekendcooker » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:06 pm

Jim B wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:48 pm
What do you have for a manual? Name, publication number? if you don't have the right manual you may not have the info you need.

My manual (SM2019) says "To remove the cam, uncouple the clutch throw out rod ball joint (figure 145-10-8) and disconnect the four springs. Cam and balls can now be pulled out." Figure 145-10-8 is a picture of the throwout bearing cam with the parts associated with it identified. HTH
Jim
Sounds like the same wordage from my manual , but the cam wont come out , thats why i was wondering if i need to pull those 6 bolts out , thanks

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:37 pm

If you pull those 6 capscrews you will be removing the Quill (item 21), doing that will let the differential drop out of place. Here is a link to the page in the parts catalog. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/sid ... pgId/27975 The cam must be rusted in keep working and tapping it. Only remove the quill if you think there is a problem in the differential. You can use the green arrows at the top of the page to scroll pages or you can clink on the green "420 and 430 Tractors - PC505 - 0 Non Sectionalized Catalog" to get to the index. This catalog includes the 420 and 430 wheel tractors so be sure you look for pages referencing "C" or crawler.