Alternator or Generator

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Alternator or Generator

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jul 25, 2020 10:37 am

Yes, it just won't be as violent as a 6 volt starter is on 12 volts. Look at it this way, the starter will be spinning the correct RPM, instead of double.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:48 pm

They have many alternators in 35 amps, 42, 63, 100 and 120 amps. Which do you use for the 440IC?

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Mon Jul 27, 2020 4:24 am

Hi,

The smallest one. The thing has no loads. Three lights is the most.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

RacinJason
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RacinJason » Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:13 am

Hi Folks This is not a recommendation, as I'm sure I will have to switch to a 12 volt starter eventually, but ... I've been running my 420C on 12 volts, neg ground, since I got it, about 5 years ago. Used to have a lot of cranking time till I put in a Pertronix and Flamethrower and inverted the distributor shaft bushing. Now starts all most instantly, I actually let off the starter before it even starts running, as the fly wheel keeps it going. As for alternator, I had a clearance problem and my GM alternator wouldn't fit, so I installed a Denso, last year, from ebay. I haven't tested to see when it cuts in, but my battery doesn't go dead, lol. I have an extremely simple electrical system, for someone not interested in ANY bells or whistles, not even a voltmeter, tho it would be easy to install. I might be able to post it on here.
JD 112, JD 420 C

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:48 pm

What is a Petronix and a Flamethrower? I just gave my 6volt starter to a customer of mine, (I’m a barber by the way) he will be changing it from 6 volt to 12 volt, it’s a slow process getting the 440ic up and going, haven’t got the block back yet, it’s getting bored out and new sleeves, had the head done the other day, had other things lined up in preparation of putting the motor together, (my first! Pray for me!) oh I picked up a motor stand Monday, ya all have been very informative and a BIG help, I thank ya all!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:43 pm

PerTronix is a manufacturer of electronic ignitions and other components. Flame Thrower is one of their coils, recommended for use with their ignition system. https://pertronixbrands.com/pages/pertronix-ignition

RacinJason
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by RacinJason » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:18 am

Thanks, Jim B for answering and posting that link, I'm not good at that type of thing. Noticed you were from W. ME. Can you give me a whereabouts? Here or on PM, or not at all if you don't want, Lol. I still live in Spfld, Ma, but also have a house in Corinth, where I am usually, the middle 2 or 3 weeks of the month. I have a JD 420C to do a little (slowly) land clearing for a garden and to spend a lot of time working on it, :D . I also help out with our private road maintenance and am saving money for a 350, only because I want hyd. 6 way blade. Otherwise, I'm perfectly happy with my little "pocket dozer"! I think it was Paul Buehler who added power to his blade, but I'm too old to start on that type of project, hahah! I might not get to finish it. Hope no-one minded this little story. JTP
JD 112, JD 420 C

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Aug 04, 2020 4:31 pm

I'm not far west, kind of between Auburn, Rumford. and Farmington.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:34 pm

Got the starter converted to 12 volt, had a friend convert it, cost $195. The block is still in the shop along with cam shaft, found out the crank shaft is too small to grind down,

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:36 am

I should have a crank on hand.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Thu May 13, 2021 9:56 am

Stan,
About your response on the “Alternator or Generator” post I have some questions to verify the
Wiring diagram:
Get a 12 volt battery, any preference on type of battery? red positive cable to the starter, negative to ground, the starter has only one wire hookup, that’s it?
One wire alternator, Tie the alternator wire straight to the Starter wire that has the battery cable to it?
A wire from the battery (red) to a toggle switch, toggle switch to positive coil, wire out from negative coil to points?

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri May 14, 2021 4:27 am

Hi,

I would use a side post battery, and whatever fits in the hole.

Yes, starter has only the one cable. No solenoid on these they have a Bendix drive. One wire alternator goes to the starter where it hooks to the battery cable. Another wire from the starter post to the switch. From the switch to the dropping resistor unless you change to a 12v coil. Then to the distributor.

Keep in mind 12v on the 6v starter is bad for the Bendix drive, the nosecone and the ring gear. Switching to a 12v starter is a good idea.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Fri May 14, 2021 5:09 am

I’m going all 12 volts, some of the instruments on the panel are electric, wire them to the battery post? Or make a panel? Thought of using the old turn switch but looks rough in the back of it, the small tube thing is about to fall off, think it’s the fuse? Might as well buy a new one. Having a hard time hooking up the alternator, think I’m missing some of the brackets. Anyone have them? My dozer is 1959 440ic. Thanks everyone for your tips!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri May 14, 2021 5:10 am

Just a general word of caution. You have a red positive cable and posted where it goes. I get concerned when battery cables are referred to by the color, one always needs to check to see where it goes, as you did. I have seen red cables on the negative side. A neighbor has a red cable on the negative of his tractor and smoked his alternator when he replaced the battery; because "red always goes on positive" (his words). He was so sure red was positive he had spread the clamp to fit and tightened the other one which was way loose to get it "right by the cable colors". Just a concern I have for what might happen when others read of battery cables referred to by color and don't pay attention to where they connect. A battery could blow up, and cause injury, when hooked up backwards in some systems.

Sounds like you are coming along well on your project. You are working on a 440IC aren't you? Don't you have an ammeter? If so the wire from the alternator battery terminal and all the other electrical load wires needs to be on one terminal of the ammeter and a separate wire should go from the second terminal of the ammeter to the battery cable stud on the starter, for the ammeter to work properly. If the ammeter reads backwards (turning on a light or other electrical load should make it show discharge), swap the wires to the opposite terminals. I would use 10 gauge wire for the alternator wire and the wire to the starter stud.
Last edited by Jim B on Fri May 14, 2021 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Fri May 14, 2021 5:26 am

It is all 12volts, negative post to ground, a wire from the starter goes to a switch, the switch to the positive coil, wire from negative coil to the points, alternator wire to starter, I’m having trouble hooking up the alternator, I’m needing some brackets, anyone have some for a 1959 440IC? The side post battery need to be a certain crank strength?