440 replacement steering lining

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jirving43
40C crawler
40C crawler

440 replacement steering lining

Post by Jirving43 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:22 pm

So my left brake band was weak when I got my dozer running originally but it finally pooped out today. It was maxed out adjustment wise... Steering clutches still work good but ya need some brake action if ya actually wanna turn! So I bought a brake lining off eBay to do it that way.. For $120 hell I'll try it. Lavoy how far do u gotta countersink the rivets into the brake lining?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440 replacement steering lining

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:25 am

Hey Jirving,
i can't remember for sure , but it seems to me that i bought complete brake band for mine at about same as you paid for lining ...from Lavoy.
by the way..why is it always the left brake that seems to get most work and wear???? anyone know? mine needs adjusting again....

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:01 am

Sorry, double posted. Paul
Last edited by Paul Buhler on Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT
420c 5 roll with 62 blade, FOPS, and Gearmatic 8a winch

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:07 am

I relined my 420 steering brake bands a few years ago with McMaster- Carr lining, rivets, rivet set, and special piloted drill bit. Cut the banding to length, spring clamped it to the cleaned and primed metal to get it shaped. Used a regular drill to locate and drill rivet holes from the outside using a wood block to minimize tear out. Then removed the banding and drilled with the counter sink drill bit from the inside using a drill press and depth stop. Reassembled with rivets using the setting tool held in a vise. Not a particularly difficult project. I didn’t use any adhesive since there wasn’t any on my bands to begin with; made disassembly and clean up easy, and the bands work well without it.
I think I countersunk the rivets half depth. This allowed for the head and clearance so they won’t rub for quite a while, and gives the rivet shaft enough meat. Jmho. Good luck with your project.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:21 am

Dtoots: I just readjusted mine too. In my case, I’m thinking that my left crank arm from the quill to the throw out bearing wasn’t set as accurately as the right one. If the clutches don’t fully disengage before the brake applies, there’s unwanted drag. My right turns are quick, and the engine sounds relaxed. When I turn left, the turns are a bit more sluggish, and the engine sounds like it’s working a bit. Fiddled with the accessible adjustments, with no improvement. By looking in from the barrel bung, I can see some slop in the crank arm on the left, and very little on the right. Since the machine is working well, and pushing strongly, I’m going to leave well enough alone for now; one day, I’ll pull the left final and re-evaluate and adjust at that point.
Good luck.Paul
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT

Paul Buhler
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Paul Buhler » Sun Jul 12, 2020 10:37 am

Double posted, again. Sorry. I’ll figure it out.
Paul Buhler
Killington, VT