Steering lever broke

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
milesofmike
40C crawler
40C crawler

Steering lever broke

Post by milesofmike » Mon Sep 21, 2020 10:38 am

TL;DR - right steering lever broke at the steering shaft and I need a good solution or replacement lever (pn T14254 T).

I purchased my first crawler last week - a JD 1010 Crawler Loader and I love it! Happy to become part of the club.

Here we are coming home for the first time: Image

Unfortunately I already have a problem. While I was clearing some dirt I pulled the right steering lever back, felt it give, and no longer had steering on that side. The lever no longer had any resistance when pulling back.

Being a complete newb I assumed something major and expensive was wrong, but as I considered why there was a "give" and sudden failure it seemed less like the clutch or brakes. Sure enough, when I took the seat off and inspected the components I was met with a steering lever that had completely fractured at the steering lever shaft.

It looks like it had broken previously and somebody had welded the lever directly to the shaft. :roll: I had broken the welds and snapped the bolt when I pulled back.

I tried JB Weld first and then an actual metal butt weld but there is high stress on this point when clamping and neither held. (Though it could be my weld was crap since it was my first weld ever.)

Do you know of a strong solution to this or any spare levers I could buy? I guess welding a plate on the side of it would hold, but that seems kind of ugly. Strangely the left lever has a different clamp design.

On the bright side, my brakes were weak or nonexistent and all the reading of the service manual helped me figure out I could make some adjustments in each of the clutch housings/the brake rod yoke to get my brakes back. The manual is amazing!
196x JD 1010 Crawler Loader

gregjo1948
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: Steering lever broke

Post by gregjo1948 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 3:30 am

Welcome. You could try getting a replacement lever from Lavoy. He operates this site and also sells parts.
It looks like the right track on your loader might be a bit too tight.
JD 350B diesel 6way blade, Case 580B Loader/backhoe, Farmall 504 high crop w/ flail boom mower, International 404 , International 284 diesel w/belly mower, 1972 Ford F600 dump truck, Galion 3-5 roller, Allis Chalmers D17, 1620 Ford

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:16 am

I am out of them. Clean all the welds off completely, bevel both edges of the break, and weld it back properly. Grind the weld smooth, then take a piece of 1/8" strap the correct width and plate across the weld, welding along the length of the strap on both sides.
The lever on the other side is a home made repair.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

milesofmike
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by milesofmike » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:39 pm

Using your suggestions I welded it again. Seems to be holding fast. Thanks Lavoy!
196x JD 1010 Crawler Loader

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:24 am

Glad to hear it.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com