Help with wiring

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
gowfer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Help with wiring

Post by gowfer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 10:40 am

The 1964 JD 1010C gas crawler has been running perfect for a couple years now. Went to start it and there is nothing, not a click, nothing.

I put a trickle charger on the battery overnight and tried again - nothing. Checked the battery and there is 12v there, turned on the key, the starter and coil both have 12v. Did some looking around and found this loose wire (pic 2). The wire comes out of the main wiring harness. Same one that goes to the coil and to the generator.

There is also something on the engine block with 2 terminals with nothing attached (pic 3). If this wire goes on there should there be another wire running off the other terminal?

I'm pretty sure this is still 12v positive ground. I don't know a lot about engines and nothing about 12v positive ground.

PIC 1

PIC 2

PIC 3

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: Help with wiring

Post by original possum » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:05 am

If it is hot only when you turn the key to "start" then it probably came off the starter solenoid.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Thu Oct 01, 2020 11:15 am

looks like cold be 12v system with the alternator....check that with ohmmeter and will see.
that last pic appears to be the resister that normally is used for 6v system, as mentioned check the starter solenoid to see if clip is there from the wire.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 pm

If it has been working ok for a couple years, check the battery and I believe you will find it the negative terminal is hooked to ground and the positive goes to the starter. Seeing that Delco alternator in your pictures tells me to expect it to be negative ground, not positive. I say that because unless someone spent the money to have that alternator converted to positive ground, when they converted it from a generator to an alternator, Delco alternators are negative ground. I doubt anyone had that done, when most conversions to alternators are done the ground is changed to negative rather than buy or build positive ground alternators. If you hook it up positive ground it is likely you will be replacing the alternator. JMHO.

Does the distributor still have points or has it been converted to an electronic ignition? Are the coil terminals marked + and - ? If so which terminal is the wire going to the distributor hook to?

Do you have Service Manual SM2034 for the 1010 Crawler? It has wiring diagrams. It will show as 12 volt positive ground with a generator and regulator. Other than the wiring changing from the generator with regulator to the apparent 1 wire alternator you should be able to use the diagram for the gasoline engine to trace out the wires for the ignition and starter circuits. As far as positive or negative ground jusr reverse the terminals of the battery, coil, and ammeter. Switches, lights, wires and the starter will work either way.

How about a picture of the connections on the starter solenoid? I am with original possum in thinking that wire may belong on the starter solenoid. Does the alternator have a rubber plug somewhere in the outer rim at the rear of the alternator or are there two exposed spade terminals?

gowfer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gowfer » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:14 pm

Thanks for the replies. Where is the starter solenoid located?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:19 pm

it is the small can like piece the wires hook to on the starter motor. Here is a picture of the end of the solenoid.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:55 am

I wanna know how YOU got the pictures on here, been trying for a while with no luck... lol

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:21 am

I use the site's picture server (http://jdcrawlers.lcent.com:8000/johndeere/index.php). Have you set up and account with Lavoy to be able to use it? Contact Lavoy by direct email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) for this. You will need a user name and password to give Lavoy, as far as I know you can use the same ones you use for this site, if you want. He will set you up so you will have your own gallery to store pictures in. Short version of how it works is, your pictures have to be uploaded to a gallery on that server then you can copy a picture(s) over to your post using an image link to that picture . The intent of the specific server is to prevent pictures being lost if a third party server goes away or makes changes like Photobucket did a few years ago. There is a good bit of info about the picture server and using it on the Messageboard Q&A and Announcements Board. Here is one post. viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13015. Once I got with Lavoy and got an account set up, dtoots1 helped me with getting started. I'm sure if you PM him once your set up, he will help you as well if you have problems.

I think some people use a third party server like Photobucket, Imgur, etc. but I don't know how those works. Someone else may be along to tell you about using those.

gowfer
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by gowfer » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:44 pm

JimB

Unfortunately I'm about 3 hours away from the machine.

Is it located by the starter? My starter is on the left side looking forward. I could barely see the starter from the top side.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Oct 05, 2020 4:48 pm

Your solenoid should be mounted right on the starter, similar to this one.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Oct 06, 2020 7:41 am

gowfer,
it helps if you edit your profile...it is located in the drop down box where you login....you can show your location so others can relate to where you are and may well offer help in repairs or even parts...you mention machine is 3 hours away also, which may even be closer to some help.
once you read the instructions located in the "Q&A" forum under "instructions for pic-server" it will help to understand the process....also get with Lavoy and you can advise him that you would like to use your login and password for the jdcrawler site for the pic server as well, but each site requires that you login...also don't forget to logout of the pic server when done ....