Shifter Smoke?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
R420
MC crawler
MC crawler

Shifter Smoke?

Post by R420 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:57 pm

I was using my new 420 today to grade the driveway. Started to smell something after about a 1/2 hour, (could have been closer to an hour, time flys when your having fun). Looked down and noticed little wisps of smoke coming out the top of the shifter quadrant. Quickly put crawler away. In hind sight, I probably should have went a little longer to be able to identify the smell. At this point I can't say whether it was burning 90 weight, clutch facing, or a combination of the two. The crawler basically sat for the last few years. The previous owner would start it every month or two just long enough to move it a few feet and then park it again. Crawler has 5 speed and the reverser with the handle on the right side of the dash. I was using the reverser. Crawler ran fine with nothing unusual in the way of noises before I noticed the smoke. Any ideas? I want to use this machine. It's my first crawler. I have been intrigued with them since I had my first ride on one over 40 years ago.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 29, 2006 1:33 pm

Smoke out the shifter tower is from the transmission, possibly the reverser, but definitely not clutch. Sounds like you better pull the top cover and see what is bad, but sounds like a smoked bearing.
Lavoy