JD 440 gas ,need to do steering clutch

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Mikedarija1
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD 440 gas ,need to do steering clutch

Post by Mikedarija1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 4:53 pm

Hello , I been an auto mechanic for many years , just bought my first dozer ,1959 440 with a bucket run good starts quick .but I got ripped of I believe after 4 hours of operation my left track clutch got weaker and weaker now it doesn't move at all .
I would like to replace both sides ,just get it done if that's the right thing to do ....
So would any one have a step by step for a newbie and a recommendation of special tools needed ,other parts to replace along with clutch while I'm there , I plan on keeping this for awhile .
I bought a service manual .so I have a ruff idea .

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD 440 gas ,need to do steering clutch

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 5:30 pm

Welcome to the Board.

Did you get the JD manual # SM2023 which is for the 440IC or the I&T manual that covers the JD crawlers MC through 440ICD? I ask as the info in them varies, most JD manuals give a pretty good description of the task in the manuals I have for other models. It may help to know what manual you are looking at.

The only special tool I think of its the JD7 gauge to set the pressure plate fingers with. Lavoy will be able to supply the gauge and parts you need and they will be correct. Aftermarket parts are not all created equal. You should start by opening the covers and looking inside to check the conditions. The compartments should be dry, not oil or water. If things look good I would do the complete steering clutch and brake adjustment and see if it makes a difference, before tearing it down.
Jim

Mikedarija1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Mikedarija1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:03 pm

Thanks
I have the SM2023 manual , is that a good one ? so I guess than my first step is to find and open inspection covers , can't be to bad , than figure out how to adjust it if it's dry an no big chunks ,I'll have to look at the book again .
Damm broke on my pond it was wet and I was driving in and scooping mud/leaves etc . If this compartment leaked would that cause the loss of all power to trac .

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:40 pm

Hello, the SM manual is better than the IT manuals. Yes, if there are bad seals/gaskets and/or water was over the inspection covers. The clutch housing is meant to be dry. The inspection covers are vented. We try to keep the crawlers inside and at least covered from the elements (rain, snow etc).

Are you say that your crawler was working without flaw, then fell through on a pond and started to slip thereafter?

Best regards, Bruce

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:54 pm

SM2023 is the right manual for a 440IC. IC is 440 gas, ICD is 440 diesel.

There is a threaded hole for a 3/4" recessed head pipe plug in the bottom of both steering clutch housings. People sometimes run with those out if they have a deal leaking or moisture problem to try to keep the steering clutches dry. That is not ideal, because of dirt contamination, but gets by on dry ground. If a plug is out and you went into the water you would have soaked that clutch and may have created the problem, especially if there was any oil or grease in the compartment. It's just like running a car in the water, the brakes will be adversely affected. And if you went deep enough that water was above where the brake rods go into the steering clutch housing they can take on water through the boots as well. If that is the case and the plugs are in place there may still be water inside the housing soaking the clutch.

Here is a link to the JD on line parts catalog, PC573. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... ent/62042/. Check out the Steering Clutch Housing and Carrier Assembly. Look at item key # 13 , brake rod boot, and item key # 15, 3/4" plug.

Mikedarija1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Mikedarija1 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:14 pm

Thank you , I'll wait for the rain to stop up here and check it out .manuals will come in handy I'm sure.
I post my results .

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 02, 2020 8:23 am

I have all of the clutch parts. It's not rocket science, but there are some tricks to it. If you get stumped, give me a call.
You can go to my Facebook page, I just posted a couple pics of a 440 I have in the shop now.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Mikedarija1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Mikedarija1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 3:58 pm

Plugs were in , there is a 2 bolt pad in the back and a 3 by pad in front ,is there a way to ajust clutch , I put it in gear and it moves an inch maybe ,same in reverse and 5 the gear .how much would parts be ?

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Mon Nov 02, 2020 5:08 pm

Just as I expect you would with an automobile, check and diagnose before jumping in with wrenches and parts. Until you pinpoint the problem, its hard to say what parts you should buy.

Did you remove the steering clutch housing covers and look inside to see if things were dry and clean? If they are wet or oily that could be the problem. A slipping engine clutch, slipping (or not engaged) reverser clutches, or slipping steering clutches can stop movement. Does the engine clutch have free play? Is the reverser lever snapping into position when you shift it? It should require 25 to 35 pounds of force to snap it in each direction. (Use the foot clutch when shifting it and don't leave it between forward and reverse(in neutral so to speak), put the transmission in neutral if you need it running while parked. Don't run the reverser in reverse and the transmission in reverse to go forward.) Is there any difference in movement if the reverser is shifted into forward or reverse?

Yes, there are adjustments for the engine (foot) clutch, the reverser clutches, and the steering clutches/brakes. Lacking a clear problem the adjustment of each should be checked and done if not in spec. Those adjustments are in the manual and each clutch's procedure must be done in the order as given, for that clutch, in the manual and done completely. I'm not giving you a hard time but you said you have manual SM2023, it has the three adjustment procedures in it. It would be a lot of typing for me or anyone else to put all that info into a post, as it is not as simple as just turn this one nut 1/4 turn. If you can deal with automobile manuals, the 440 manual should not be a problem. We can help if you have questions.

Last edited by Jim B on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Mon Nov 02, 2020 6:47 pm

Also, remember that you may well have to adjust several times to get them just right.

Mikedarija1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by Mikedarija1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:32 pm

Thank you all.
I can't believe that worked .I adjusted it like the book and online advise . can't believe that small of ajusment made that big of a difference.