Repair Videos wanted - reverser growling

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Josey
MC crawler
MC crawler

Repair Videos wanted - reverser growling

Post by Josey » Sat Nov 14, 2020 11:20 am

Hello,

I really appreciate this site and all of the expertise provided by the members. We have now a 440ic dozer and I have sent it off to have the reverser looked at, she is growling when the clutch pedal is released. I was fortunate to find someone qualified to take a look at it for me, however long term I am afraid such services will no longer be available and I’ll have to rely on myself. Hopefully I’ll be retired by then and have the time as well. Actually I’m afraid of what might happen, so I will likely remove the reverser and put in a straight shaft. I’m not in a rush to get done with a little bulldozing and our 420 we had when I was a kid didn’t have one anyway. Why reduce my time in the seat? I’m way more worried about someone else ruining my machine dozing in reverse/reverse when I’m dead and gone.

It would really help me and help the hobby if there were more repair videos available to really see how things are fixed. I’ve always done what I can to repair my own cars but I am easily the worst mechanic on this board. However, I love these crawlers like you do, so when you’re making a repair or restoration, take videos! Your teardown and rebuild, captured on video, would help a hundred guys like me.

Thanks again for your time.
Josey
Minneapolis, MN
440ic Rookie

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Repair Videos wanted - reverser growling

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 8:37 am

A properly operated reverser will cause no problems, no reason to ever remove a reverser just for the sake of removing it. Repair it correctly, operate it correctly, and don't look back.
I have reverser parts on hand, both new, used, and repro.
Service manuals for these crawlers are very well laid out and contain all of the info you will need.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com