1010 fluids question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Firemn260
MC crawler
MC crawler

1010 fluids question

Post by Firemn260 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:35 am

I havnt been around in a while since I got my 64 1010 loader running well. My father had bought the loader with the intentions of using it to clear some debris along the tracks at a railroad museum. I asked him to make sure they take it easy on the old girl but the man running it ran the snot out of it. Now that I have it back into semi retirement it did not want to move unless you throttle it way up but only then it barely creeps forward with next to no power.
She ran real good before I took it down there. It’s almost like a clutch is slipping really bad.
I started checking fluids. The dipstick under the left brake lever is milky and over full. I have a shop manual but I have to dig around for it.
I drained the trans fluid and it looked a little cloudy amber but not hateful. Next I will drain the oil from the rear two gear housings? I’m guessing this is where the fluid is from the final drive?
I’m getting ready to head out and pick up fluids for everything. Hy guard or equivalent for the trans, 80w for the rear.
Does the reverser use one of these two or does it have a seperate fluid supply I’m missing?
I’m just hoping it didn’t burn up the reverser or something like that. I’m not to familiar with how these reversers work.
Unfortunately if it’s something major that would spell a death sentence for the old girl. I hope not. She has been serving me well.

original possum
1010 crawler
1010 crawler

Re: 1010 fluids question

Post by original possum » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:13 pm

The reverser has its own oil supply and dipstick. Check it. Then see if it loads the engine in neutral with the reverser in either position (clutch out) or if only when trying to move.
Early 40C w/Yakima toolbar and homebuilt ripper: 350 w/6-way