final drive worn through

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Welsh
MC crawler
MC crawler

final drive worn through

Post by Welsh » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:12 pm

I am looking at possibly taking on a friend's father's project, a 1956 420C, serial# 91952. The main problem that he's aware of is that the final drive is extremely worn, there is a circular groove worn into the steering clutch side of the upper part of the final drive case. (around the bearing area for the final drive shaft) It looks to be about the size of the brake drum. Has anyone ever seen this? It seems like it was run with the bearing out for quite a while.
So I was wondering... since it doesn't appear to be a structural problem, do you think that some extensive JB welding would make this final drive salvageable? I'm thinking that if I could patch the holes to keep the final drive oil out of the steering clutch, maybe that would work? Or am I just trying to convince myself that I don't need to shell out for a replacement final case, if I decide to commit to buy? :?
1956 420C, 1939 Farmall H, 1949 Ford 8N

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: final drive worn through

Post by Lavoy » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:04 pm

That area will need to transmit 100% power many times. When it finally blows, add a lot more money than just a final.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Welsh
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: final drive worn through

Post by Welsh » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:20 pm

Thanks for the experienced advice, Lavoy. I think my next step will be to just jump in and buy it. Its been sitting since the mid-90s, hard telling what all I'll find when I start pulling it apart. For some reason I can't let the opportunity pass. I'll be back for advice and parts, probably in several years! (I currently have an allis Chalmers C completely in pieces) thanks again!
1956 420C, 1939 Farmall H, 1949 Ford 8N