Timing the oil pump

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Timing the oil pump

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:27 am

Just read the old post from 2008 concerning timing the oil pump along with the distributor with a special gauge, the post : (Help Timing without the timing tool AM-450-T).
My question is does the oil pump have to be timed or it won’t function properly? Or is it really just the distributor being timed and the oil pump will just function no matter what? I feel I’m missing something so help me out please, no I don’t have the gauge and the pump is already in the engine and its on a stand ready to go, if I have to time the oil pump it’s a good thing I caught this.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Timing the oil pump

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:46 am

It is just so that the oil pump is in the correct position so that when the dist is installed, it will be roughly with the terminal facing out. Distributor could know or care less where it is, but that is where Deere wanted it, so the tool exists.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Nov 24, 2020 4:51 pm

so Lavoy, in case i ever run into this, as mentioned in a prior post, his was out 180 degrees, i assume he turned the distributor to correct it?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Nov 24, 2020 6:38 pm

No, dist only goes in one way, and unlike a small block chevy, you can't turn the oil pump to a different position without removing it. All you can do is make sure the timing is correct with a timing light, then you will be fine. If you want it correct, you need to pull the pan and retime the oil pump first.
Lavoy

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:41 am

Put the distributor in and got the front piston top dead center on the compression stroke, the DC stamp on the flywheel is in line with the line on the engine block, the rotor is pointing towards the front spark plug hole, will that be ok?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:49 pm

No where it is supposd to be, but it will run fine. Remember firing order is 1-2 no matter where the dist is, so make sure to time it correctly, and have the plug wires in the correct order.
Lavoy

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:26 pm

I might want to do this right, what should the rotor be point to in order to lined up?

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Tue Dec 01, 2020 5:28 pm

According to the manual looks like the narrow side of the coupling should face outside of tractor with an additional 1/4 clock wise turn?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Dec 02, 2020 11:31 am

I don't have the tool in front of me, but the basic process is engine on TDC #1, with the oil pump installed, the slot in the drive gear should be roughly parallel with the crankshaft, and I THINK the narrow side of the slot to the outside.
Laovy

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:12 pm

I don't have a 440IC service manual so I checked the 420 manual and it referred back to the 40. Anyway. That basically reads to insert the pump into the hole with the narrow slot to the outside and parallel to the block as Lavoy said. It says before meshing in the gear insert the tool and turn it about 1/8 turn clockwise then move the pump into place, (the slot will rotate counterclockwise as the pump gear goes into the cam gear) then proceed to lock the pump in place. As I remember it the 1/8 turn clockwise is about a tooth. Doing that compensates for the counterclockwise rotation seen as the pump gear fully engages the cam gear. End result is the narrow side should be to wards the outside of the block and the slot will be close to parallel to the outside of the block. The distributor is installed with the primary lead connection to the outside of the block. How does your 440IC manual describe the process?

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:15 pm

It describes it just as you stated, I laid the engine on its back and took the oil pan off and worked with the pump, it’s narrow end is now facing outside the distributor rotor was facing the front spark plug but now is facing parallel with the engine block and pointing to the front. It took a little work because of the curl on the gear but finally got the slot parallel with the engine.

Swanybawanie
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Swanybawanie » Fri Dec 04, 2020 2:44 pm

WITH the narrow end facing the outside..