Disasembly Weights and dimensions for Transport by Bushplane

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
AlaskaMr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Re: Disasembly Weights and dimensions for Transport by Bushplane

Post by AlaskaMr » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:35 am

a PBY, that's awesome, i wonder who though, well, if we take that window out... If i was rich I'd have one of those as a air mobile fishing boat.

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I'm going to move ahead with the next step on this project. If the trigger gets pulled, I'm sure you'll be hearing more from me on here.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Thu Dec 24, 2020 5:41 am

Hi,

I guess that explains why Clark dozers came about during WWII. Smaller and lighter, they were dropped whole. They have boxes to fill with sand or dirt to give them more weight after they land. Much easier than dropping crawler kits! ;)

This is quite a project!

I would disassemble and rebuild one, then reassemble it for testing, then disassemble it again for transport. More work, but I would hate to get it all the way there to find I needed to tear it apart again on site......

What you need is a C130 and drop it whole. Not to long ago, the 82nd accidently dropped a Hummer onto a farm near us. They fly over often and I yell up 'where is me Hummer??''. But, they don't drop one off! :P

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:18 am

Clark's weren't dropped whole, they were transported in gliders or C47's. We didn't have that air drop capability in WWII.
The bodxes on the side are Jerry Can holders for extra fuel.
Ray RIgaud has a great site called Syltech dedicated to the Clark's and the airborne equipment, tons of awesome pics. My brother has a Clark, and 2 of the Letourneau Airborne scrapers.
http://www.syltech.net/
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

JWB Contracting
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by JWB Contracting » Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:28 pm

We have an International Midgi with dozer. Smaller and lighter than any Deere crawler and purpose built for light transport into fly in locations. It’s taking up shed room if anyone is looking for one.

We have sold a few 450C’s that were disassembled and flown into remote locations in the Yukon. When you rip one of them down you really find out how good they are upon assembly. Have some gold miners rigging up for barging with a weight restriction. I’m going to find a set of 100% worn 450 rails so they can remove the dozer and track group to lighten and narrow it up enough to transport
Jason Benesch

John Deere 420, 430, 440 & 350C With 3 Point Hitch
John Deere 400G With Winch
John Deere 2010 Crawler Dozer
John Deere 420, 430, 435 & 440 Wheel Tractors

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Stan Disbrow » Fri Dec 25, 2020 5:50 am

Hi,

I got the sand in the box info from an Airborne museum in Texas. They had a display of how they used the Clark dozers in the Pacific to build airstrips. I suppose this is an example of using things differently.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:54 am

I can see that. Someone figured out they would pull more with the Jerry cans full, so if they were empty, sand works just as well.
Laovy

AlaskaMr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AlaskaMr » Fri Jan 08, 2021 9:55 pm

JWB Contracting wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:28 pm
We have an International Midgi with dozer. Smaller and lighter than any Deere crawler and purpose built for light transport into fly in locations. It’s taking up shed room if anyone is looking for one.

We have sold a few 450C’s that were disassembled and flown into remote locations in the Yukon. When you rip one of them down you really find out how good they are upon assembly. Have some gold miners rigging up for barging with a weight restriction. I’m going to find a set of 100% worn 450 rails so they can remove the dozer and track group to lighten and narrow it up enough to transport
Tell me more about the Midgi, i sent you a message and might be interested.

AlaskaMr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AlaskaMr » Fri Jan 08, 2021 10:00 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 11:42 am
If you have that kind of lift capacity on site, I really don't see that it will be an issue. At one time I had the article where they broke down a 40 and put it through the blister widows of a PBY and hauled it to some island to build an airstrip for missionary work.
Without finals, crossbars, or trackframes, you should be able to leave engine, trans, reverser assembled I think. All of the pieces that bolt on to that will be under 2000lbs. Sounds totally doable to me. Even if you go down to smaller pieces, I don't see a drawback, they will be easier to handle on both ends.
Lavoy
Do you know what the gas motor weighs and how heavy the heaviest single piece would be? is breaking the reverse apart from the transmission a more technical job? Ive never messed with transmissions and clutches, but i know the machine im looking at comes with a full set of manuals!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Sat Jan 09, 2021 7:23 am

MrAlaska,
Reverser by itself heavy but i think weighs maybe just a bit less than 100bs.
engine with bell housing..gas i am guessing at around 300-400...have one loose on trlr and can move it around..i weigh 140lb
now tranny is something else..without finals..it probably weighs between 600-800 again guessing
getting reverser off believe is simply bolted, but it does have shaft thru tranny so needs support to back out i think,,been a while since looked

others may have more accurate info, maybe Lavoy

don't know if these close enough for your needs

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 pm

Engine in the 500lb range, reverser around 200, finals and clutches around 250 each.
Trans, track frames with rollers, crossbar, sideframes I had trouble lifting with my loader and it will lift a ton, but it is an awkward lift.
Tracks 600 or so each, blade 1200 minimum all together, but will break down into lighter pieces.
Lavoy

AlaskaMr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AlaskaMr » Tue Jan 12, 2021 8:27 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:59 pm
Engine in the 500lb range, reverser around 200, finals and clutches around 250 each.
Trans, track frames with rollers, crossbar, sideframes I had trouble lifting with my loader and it will lift a ton, but it is an awkward lift.
Tracks 600 or so each, blade 1200 minimum all together, but will break down into lighter pieces.
Lavoy
Thanks, that is useful stuff. Are the side frames what hold the rollers and Idler? or is that the track frame? I saw a video by a guy named Farmer John on Youtube who was scrapping machines and had undercarriage flipped over to disassemble. Pilot is keen to get all pieces down below 1000lbs.

The crossbars are the two heavy square rods that form the base of the frame correct?

thanks again

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:31 pm

Track frames hold the rollers, sideframes go beside the engine from the front casting back to the steering clutch housings.
Lavoy

AlaskaMr
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by AlaskaMr » Wed Jan 13, 2021 12:12 am

Got it so the sideframes are the C channel ive seen in photos? know the rough dimensions of the 6-way blade?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:41 am

Blade you will have to pull the moldboard off to get it under 1,000, but definitely doable.
Lavoy