my crawler wont move

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
r doud
40C crawler
40C crawler

my crawler wont move

Post by r doud » Tue Jan 05, 2021 7:57 pm

hi there. i bought a john/deer 420c with a stuck motor and stuck final drive. i got the motor free, and im working on the final drive. im not sure where its stuck. when i loaded it on my trailer the tracks would not turn . the right turn lever is stuck. wont move. the left turn lever works fine but nether side will turn . i need a place to start, so i am open for suggestions. thanks Bob in chiloquin oregon.

Stan Disbrow
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: my crawler wont move

Post by Stan Disbrow » Wed Jan 06, 2021 5:25 am

Hi,

The finals have clutch packs inside a drum with brake bands on the outside of the drum. Each side. If the brakes are stuck the tracks won't turn. So, drop the tracks and remove the final drives is the place to begin.

The brakes need to release to get the tracks to move under power. Same for when you yank it. If the brakes are stuck the thing won't roll, either. And, only one brake needs to be stuck if the.clutch pack won't release. These have no differential to allow one side to spin when the other is stuck.

Stan
There's No Such Thing As A Cheap Crawler!

Useta Have: '58 JD 420c 5-roller w/62 inside blade
Useta Have: '78 JD350C w/6310 outside blade
Useta Have: '68 JD350, '51 Terratrac GT-25
Have: 1950 M, 2005 x495, 2008 5103 (now known as 5045D)

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:20 am

You say you have the engine free. Does that mean you have it so it turns over or does it mean it is running and are trying to turn the rest of the drive line under power. Just looking to clarify what you call free.

I agree with Stan it sounds like you might just as well get going on pulling it apart and rebuilding the steering clutches and brakes. The foot brake linkage is connected into the system as well. There have been cases of the brake cross shaft and clutch throwout shaft being seized together, be sure to check that the brake and clutch pedals move free of each other. Lavoy will be your best source for parts. He also sells service manuals, if you don't have one for your 420C, you will want one. Email him at postmaster@jdcrawlers.com or his phone number is on the home page.

r doud
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by r doud » Wed Jan 06, 2021 7:21 pm

motor is turning . compression is 40 and 60. i will heat it up get it higher. i have fire at the distributor, but wiring needs to be changed out. i think i will fill the well with kerosene and let very thing soak for a bit. thanks for your help Bob chiloquin or

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Jan 07, 2021 8:54 am

Engine is shot, 40-60psi is at the bare minimum to even fire at all, should be over 100psi, seems to me 120psi or a little more.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com