440 track clutch help

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
IDguy
MC crawler
MC crawler

440 track clutch help

Post by IDguy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 10:37 am

Hi,

I am new here and I just bought a John Deere 440 ICD which is labeled as a Model 831 which is the track loader version I guess. Anyway, when I pull the steering lever for the left track back it will start to pull the track clutch out and then I feel a snap through the lever and it moves without resistance or effect (the clutch pops back in for the left track) until it hits the brake portion of the travel and engages the brake. The brake on this side is noticeably more worn I think as I have to pull the lever really far back to get it to stop that track.

Any ideas on what is causing this and what I need to fix it?

Thanks

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 440 track clutch help

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:32 pm

Again, first you need the manual and read on adjusting the steering brakes....your lever is traveling too far and is actually kicking out of the three ball bearings that ride under the mechanism....that (clicking) tells you that adjustment is needed. once you have gone thru the adjustment procedures..you may well have to adjust again...must follow exactly as manual shows..

notwithstanding, after going thru all that, you may well have worn out brakes...which does require removal of the final to accomplish.

do the adjustments as needed and then advise

also i don't recall if you show your location..to do so .profile is located in the drop down box where you login where you can add your location

IDguy
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by IDguy » Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:35 pm

Thanks. I work offshore on oil rigs but I do have the manuals with me and I will read through them again. My home in North Idaho.

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:13 pm

keep at it...it is simply following thru the procedures...these are nice machines and will do a lot more than you might think...mine literally tore out a group of trees...standing in middle of yard up to six inch diameter --7 or 8 f them with roots tied together and could not pull them down to separate...cut em and dug all roundabout a foot deep and while pushing and working...i finanally noticed a corner moved laterally and pushed there and twisted the whole group loose...burned the whole root ball and all for a bit over 2 weeks. dozer pushed whole thing about 50 foot to burn pile

others will be on here to answer questions as well...that is exactly how these folks do.

also any parts you need call Lavoy at this site...see his parts section...he in north dakota

also check all posts related to jd440

good luck and welcome

shinnery
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by shinnery » Wed Jan 20, 2021 9:16 pm

An 831 is the model number of the loader used on a 440IC or 440ICD crawler. The crawler serial number plate is probably below your dash in your crawler. In front of your knees. They will have separate parts lists from Deere.
No trees were hurt in the creation of this message.
But, many electrons were terribly bothered.

440IC/602, 2-440ICD/831 MM UBU-LP, 445N-LP, 445E-LP, BIG MO 400-M, 4 Star-LP M5-D, M5-LP, M602-LP, M670-LP, G900-LP, G900-D, G1000 Vista-LP Case 580CK