2010 final brg. adjusting

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
signweld@yahoo.com
40C crawler
40C crawler

2010 final brg. adjusting

Post by signweld@yahoo.com » Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:27 pm

Hi everyone. I need to adjust my final drive bearing on my 2010 , and wondered if you can get the inner bearing cap off without removing the whole final housing? I all ready have the track off doing brakes and seals.
Paul Morrison

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 2010 final brg. adjusting

Post by Jim B » Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:19 am

I am guessing you are talking about the inboard bearing on the axle shaft. the cap is visible when you are under the crawler. I can't say for sure if you can get it off in place and then make the adjustment or not. I will say you are there, hands on, to try it if you want. If it doesn't work out you have the track off so, you are already part way to doing it by the book. How loose is it? It may be loose because you may have a bearing(s) failing.
Jim

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:21 am

I do not believe you have to remove the final.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

signweld@yahoo.com
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by signweld@yahoo.com » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:43 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence guys. I got the wood stove stoked up & a carpet on the floor. It went very well. I had to grind some on the corner of the clutch housing To get a socket wrench on the bolt head that had long been well rounded over. I ended up using a bolt head type easy out. No room to hit it with the hammer, the draw bar support leaves only 4" or so room. I ended up using a bolt and nut to seat it and got it out. Socket head cap screws here will work well here. The sprocket had about .100+ slop in and out. I removed all the shims and then turned a .015 shoulder on the cap (with 2 holes in it) Still got .005 slop and bearing is bottomed out. At least its a easy place to replace it.
Paul Morrison