John Deere 420c steering clutch adjustment

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: John Deere 420c steering clutch adjustment

Post by Jim B » Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:41 pm

Just throwing some things out for thoughts of where issues might be.

What is the condition of the flywheel friction surface, glazed/burnt? Did you by chance measure the depth of it? I wonder if the clutch disc material is right and the right thickness. Possible incorrect springs in the pressure plate? New or rebuilt pressure plate? Could be an issue with the plate if it is a rebuilt one that has been resurfaced.

You rebuilt your reverser, correct? Force to snap into forward and reverser is right (25 to 35 lbs. at the top of the lever) by the manual? What did you use for oil in it?

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:51 am

So yes i used the jd-7 gauge and added an 1/8th inch. the fly wheel surface looks good and no I did not measure pressure plate or disc, However the clutch disc is slightly glazed. Also the pressure plate has one small spot that looks like it may have gotten warm. Yes I totally rebuilt and adjusted my reverser to the book and used John Deere Hy-guard oil in it since that is what Lavoy has recomended in other post. Thank you guys for chiming in!

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 am

Now...can someone answer the question on the ...engine clutch....does that also need the 1/8th inch spacing..likes needed for the steering?

If not...and is used...will that create the problem encountered??????

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 am

My instructions that came with the jd-7 gauge said add 1/8th for engine clutch and 1/16th for steering clutch......

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:37 pm

So I was wondering if there is any more Ideas on what could be wrong? My clutch disc and pressure plate is identical to the ones steiner tractor sells for the 420c. maybe take alook at their site and tell me if i have the wrong pressure plate and disc? Honestly I feel like I dont have very many options.... so please help! Thank You!

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Thu Feb 25, 2021 1:20 am

Are you absolutely sure you have free play after the clutch pedal lets go of the clutch, and it's not just the slop in the linkage?

Maybe your flywheel is warped.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:39 am

Assuming free play is correct as Ray III noted. Have you asked the vendor you got the clutch set up from, if they have any ideas? Sometimes you find out they have had such happen before. It’s a great feeling when they say that happens, bring it back and we’ll give you another – not.

That “looks like” the right clutch set up. The problem is looks don't tell the story. Friction material composition and thickness, spring specs, manufacturing tolerances in components are things you can see in pictures. Most of those kits cover multiple part numbers found in the JD parts catalogs used for different wheel tractors as well as the crawlers. Are they built to the heaviest spec’d one or not, I don’t know?
You say the clutch disc is slightly glazed and there is a spot on the pressure plate that looks like it may have gotten warm. That spot could point to the pressure plate not being completely flat, so it doesn’t give an even pressure across the whole surface. Glazing of the clutch disc is a sign of slipping and will it may continue to slip.

You may be at the point of having the flywheel surfaced to be sure the surface for the disc is flat and a fresh surface. Depth should also be checked and corrected if needed. Then you need to decide if you want to keep trying that glazed disc and pressure plate with a possible warm spot, or if you get a different set up. I’ll plug for Lavoy on this, as he has years of experience installing these parts as well as selling them. He doesn’t want to use, or sell, parts that can lead to rework.

Sorry I can’t tell you what is wrong. These are just my thoughts. I can’t see what you are seeing and our opinions of good or bad may be a bit different, just a result of past experiences, not saying my experience or thoughts are right.
Jim

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:37 am

Ok I will double check the free travel but 99.9% sure its right. Do any of you know what it costs to have my flywheel turned? As far as the disc is concerned I am probably going to leave it on for the time being, thanks Jim for that valuble info!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:45 am

You are over thinking the 1/8" deal, stop worrying about it, it will never affect slippage of the clutch.
Did you install a clutch disc and pressure plate?
There are really only 3 possibilities here relating to the clutch.
1. You installed a new clutch disc and pressure plate, and the pressure plate is defective
2. You installed a new clutch and pressure plate, and still do not have freeplay.
3. You did not install a new clutch disc and pressure plate, and the old ones are junk.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:51 am

Lavoy I didn't put new pressure plate and disc in but it was done right before I got it. I adjusted the pressure plate while it was apart. but I really am wondering about my fly wheel needing resurfaced.. It looks like pepboys does it for 35 dollars! I wont be out much!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:54 am

Resurfacing will have no effect on slippage, but yes it is a good idea as long as they have a flywheel resurfacer. If they are using a brake lathe, don't bother.
Lavoy

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:57 am

Ok thanks for clearing that up, so i am probably looking at a new pressure plate and disc, though this one looks good not a resurface job. All I can say is it must be defective!! thanks for that helpful info!

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:10 am

Should i replace the disc too? It is glazed some but not to bad.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:15 am

Glazing shouldn't hurt anything. One other question, probably not the problem, but if the disc has a long side and a short side to the hub, make sure the long side is towards the transmission, not the engine. Usually this will make it difficult to get into gear, no slippage, but worth checking.
Lavoy

E.Huffman
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by E.Huffman » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:33 am

Ok Yes the long side is toward the transmission and i will try to watch that when I take it apart.