bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Re: Crawler 420 not starting...and worse

Post by bookman51 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:27 pm

Paul Buhler wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:49 pm
Mr. Bookman:
I rebuilt my 420 starter a number of years ago. It’s pretty easy. I picked up new brushes, and new bushings, and starter switch online. Had it out, cleaned up, and disassembled very quickly. Happily, the armature and fields were still good. Crocus cloth cleaned up where the brushes rub nicely.
Sorry not an expert, so some of my terms may be incorrect, but if you are handy at all, it’s worth a try.
Helps to know what one is doing!! I probably could have easily replaced the saddle switch, but I did not know what else was wrong. The shop replaced a bearing, the saddle switch (or solenoid as they called it), turned the commutator, tested the armature and fields, replaced a drive ending, removed corrosion from copper contacts, sanded down field coil stud, and cleaned and lubed it (all per their invoice), and field tested (in front of me). I knew they would be pricy, and they did not disappoint! $171.36. Might have been able to get a new one for that....at least I have seen new Farmall ones sold for less. The solenoid was $46.50 and I think about $15.00 at TSC, but it does look more substantial than TSC ones. With the bitter cold weather, I have not put it on yet, and may not get to it until Sunday, when it is supposed to be even colder. So, I paid some tuition but I also did not want to be taking it on and off several times or screw it trying to fix it myself. Live and learn! Maybe it will be good for another 63 years, and if not, I know where to take it back to.

bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bookman51 » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:34 pm

Lavoy wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:41 am
I stock all of the components to rebuild starters if need be as well.
Lavoy
Thanks, I will keep that in mind. I responded to Paul Buhler as to what the shop did and what I paid (see my message to him). I paid some hefty tuition but it is fixed (at least worked on the bench). It is minus 2 now at 1:30 p.m. so no shop work, plus I have some other pressing matters to get done. I hope to install it on Sunday, but it is supposed to be colder then. Getting the starter back on should not be a problem. However, I probably should check the small wire from the starter to the switch to see if there is any short along the way. That may mean taking off the hood and the dash. Working with cold tools is no fun, as you no doubt do from time to time. Thanks much.

57jd420
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by 57jd420 » Tue Feb 16, 2021 3:12 pm

Sounds like you are on the right track getting the starter redone. Make sure your cables are the correct gauge. As far as the corrosion issue I started using dielectric grease years ago and its never let me down. I put it right on the wire end and then put the battery terminal on, anything with a factory end on (say an eyelet) apply the grease after the connection is made, seems to help with moisture issues. The silicone battery spray works the same. To echo some of the other posts, if your battery is charged and no stale fuel/carb issues that baby should spin fast and fire about the 2nd chug. My crawler starts quick!
Home of the free because of the BRAVE!!!

1957 420 5 roller 5 speed

Ray III
2010 crawler
2010 crawler

Post by Ray III » Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 am

Having your battery on the fender may be part of the issue. With 6 volts your cables have to be twice the gauge or half the length that they would be on 12 volts. If your wire to the starter is longer than factory, then also make it heavier than factory.

bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bookman51 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 5:13 pm

Ray III wrote:
Thu Feb 18, 2021 2:29 am
Having your battery on the fender may be part of the issue. With 6 volts your cables have to be twice the gauge or half the length that they would be on 12 volts. If your wire to the starter is longer than factory, then also make it heavier than factory.
Thanks, yep I paid I think $45 to get NAPA to make me the heaviest duty wiring I could get to run to the starter. The positive ground wire is not quite as heavy duty but it is a much shorter run, and I think still heavy duty.

bookman51
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by bookman51 » Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:16 pm

I connected up the starter yesterday but ran out of time to start it. I went out this afternoon and it fired right up. I did not know the starter could crank the engine over that fast. I had just put on an Optima battery, but probably a cleaned up starter and a new saddle switch did the trick. I checked the wiring and all looked good. Probably did not hurt that it was 45 degrees. When I tried to start it before the temperature was closer to zero. The tach cable is broken at the far end, and that is the next project to fix!! Pity those folks with brand new tractors whose tractors do not give them a challenge to keep the tractor running. Thanks much to everyone for the help!!