2010 diesel slobber

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
WVDad
MC crawler
MC crawler

2010 diesel slobber

Post by WVDad » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:31 am

Hello all,

I’ve been rebuilding a “new to me” 1964 2010c. Following reassembly of machine with fresh steering clutches and rebuilt water pump it was time to fire the machine up. To note I installed new glow plugs and diesel primer seals, cleaned diesel tank and new fuel lines. I charged the GP for 60 sec pumped the fuel primer and the machine fired up easily (well, easier than 3 non-operational glow plugs and non-operational primer) The engine ran rough and considerable smoke (almost sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders) but cleared up once it warmed up. The next time I went to fire it up it was very hard to start and when it finally started it slobbered black diesel/soot mixture out of exhaust manifold and exhaust, it was a considerable amount. I shut things down and did some reading about diesel slobber. I stared it up again to get it up to operating temperature and give it a work out but it still seems to be a problem when starting and quits when warmed up. I drained the oil and it seems slightly thinned with diesel. I checked the inspection cover on the injection pump and everything looks clean and clear. The slobber does go away once warm but somethings not right. I suspect I have one or more injectors leaking causing my problem and they need a rebuild. I wanted to get thoughts from the group. Can you still get injector nozzles for these things?
Again, thanks to all for all the former post I have read along the way with this thing!!

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: 2010 diesel slobber

Post by Lavoy » Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:14 pm

They are not the smoothest when started cold, and will tend to clean up as they warm up. Early injectors are tough, late ones are no problem.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com