neats foot foot powder

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
my fathers son
40C crawler
40C crawler

neats foot foot powder

Post by my fathers son » Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:44 am

This is 50 years ago and one of those “As I recall”, my father in law had a late 60s and then a mid 70’s JD 350 as his daily machine. I would help him out when need be and he would occasionally put a small amount of Neats Foot powder on the the steering clutch if he noticed it starting to slip some. It seems it was a band aid to get to a point where he would do a tear down at end of season or whatever. Seems he was careful not to use to much and used a squeeze bottle with a long tube or so I imagine. He wasn’t a man to scrimp on maintenance so I tend to think it was a trick that worked in the immediate. Make any sense?

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: neats foot foot powder

Post by Lavoy » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:43 am

Only thing it could really get onto as far as a friction surface would be the brake band.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:30 pm

Some of the old operator's on cable cranes, shovels and backhoes used "Fuller's Earth" on clutch and brake frictions. These would be open shoe and band type brakes and clutches. It could smooth the operation of a brake, improve the grip of a clutch friction, and help "dry" the effect of a bit of oil or grease on the friction materials. Some swore by it, some swore at it. I am guessing the Neats Foot Powder would do about the same thing. As lavoy said I don't see it getting to any more than the brake at best, not into the steering clutch frictions. Yes, I was around these type machines 50 years ago and even had to go buy some for a couple operators, when I was a field mechanic. Also bought carbon tetrachloride by the 5 gallon can and dumped it in Cat crawler steering clutch compartments to get oil out of the clutches and brakes to keep machines going to meet schedules. There have been a lot of changes in how things are done in the last 50 years.

fundytides
440 crawler
440 crawler

Post by fundytides » Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:31 am

Similar story about cone clutches in 1920's Chevs. A guy I worked with says he can remember his father stopping by the side of the road, taking the clutch cover off and throwing in a handful of fine sand when the clutch started slipping on hills. Seemed to work for a while. I guess anything that will dry up oil and add friction will get you out of a pinch.
have 40c 4 roller crawler, 1927 Ford T Touring car, 1931 Ford A Roadster, 1951 Standard Vanguard Saloon. Never a dull moment!

Hurlbutt
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Hurlbutt » Sun Mar 07, 2021 9:45 am

I remember my father talking about dumping powder on the clutches of junk cranes on drag line operations. I don't remember what the powder was. He also talked about some contractors that gave backhoes overhauls by applying a fresh coat of paint so they looked good on the job. Apparently some contractors ran with tight maintenance budgets.
Bill