JD1010 Clutch setup

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
92rslt1
MC crawler
MC crawler

JD1010 Clutch setup

Post by 92rslt1 » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:57 am

I have an old 1010 and the previous owner replaced the clutches in both sides. I have two issues

1. The right side clutch worked perfect, but the axle walked out and ruined the quill, axle and seal. I dont see what holds it in aside from the quill. When I tighten the retainer down it doesn't push on anything, it just tightens to the end of the shaft. I believe this is why it walked out, someone previously tried to add 3 shims in the middle where the big spacer is.

2. The left side clutch never worked after it was installed. I took the drive off and the clutch is brand new, the linkage is a little worn and Im not sure if there is any fixing that, is there a way to adjust the pressure plate to make up for the worm linkage? Is there a place I can download a template for the jig tool?

The last thing I want is to have to go back into this after its back together.

Thanks!

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: JD1010 Clutch setup

Post by Jim B » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:16 pm

Welcome to the board.

First question do you have the service manual (John Deere publication SM2034) and the parts catalogl (PC727) for it. Here is a link to PC727 at the John Deere parts catalog site if you don't have one. https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/nav ... VJUE1FTlRd

We may have some difference of terminology here. The quill is located on the differential side of the steering clutch, no where near the axle at the bottom of the final drive, so I don't see the axle sliding out ruining the quill, with out doing a lot more damage than you mention. The axle has opposing bearings in the housing and is held in by a slotted nut and cotter pin on the inner end of the axle, which preloads the bearings. You can see the arrangement and part that should be there in the parts catalog. Someone may have added shims in the process of setting the bearings. It could be a sign there is wear in the housing, axle shaft, or spacers shown in the parts catalog which will prevent proper adjustment, inspect things carefully.

As for the left side. Some new linkage parts maybe available, I'm not sure. Some things can be built up (weld or braze), then refitted. Yes there is an adjustment procedure for setting the pressure plate. The gauge you need is John Deere # JD 7.

You should contact Lavoy (send an email, not a PM, or call him during central time business hours) if you need a gauge or manuals. His store and business provide this site for us to use, so it is only right that we try to support his business. If you get your parts and such from him, you will get quality items as he works on these and uses the parts in his shop. Also he is a technical resource you can contact if needed.
Jim

92rslt1
MC crawler
MC crawler

Post by 92rslt1 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:10 am

Thanks Jim,

I have the original service manual. Its pretty dated, but all intact for the most part.

I think what I meant to say was axle bearing retainer. On mine the bearings aren't opposing. They are both facing the same direction, the tapered end is toward the left on both.So what looks to have happened is that the entire assembly walked out of the bearings, and because the retainer on the inside doesn't push on anything to hold it in. Mine doesn't have a castle nut like a B350 might, mine has two bolts and a plate.

I dont know if Lavoy sells used stuff, but I do need the JD7 tool, axle, seal and retainer at least.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:50 am

The bearings have to oppose each other, no other way to do it correctly. If you have the retainer as shown in your parts manual, then it is not missing, something else is up. If the retainer is there, and installed correctly, the axle can't walk out, the inside bearing would be retained, and the bearing will not go through the bull gear no matter it's orientation.
I sell the gauge to set the pressure plate, but that has nothing to do with work linkage.
I suggest you get a new fully intact parts manual, as well as a new service manual. It would appear previous owner did not assemble at least one thing incorrectly, who knows what else is wrong. I would not risk the damage if it is not.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com