Dry Steering Clutch Storage Question

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Dry Steering Clutch Storage Question

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:34 am

Hi-

I think someone on here mentioned that when tey are going to put their crawler with dry clutches in storage, they will tie back the steering levers to disengage the clutches and further protect them from becoming frozen (stuck).

I was wondering how this would impact the clutch parts (i.e. would this weaken springs in them over time)? I guess even if so it is a small price to pay to ensure the clutches don't get frozen.

Thanks-

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:31 pm

I have heard it enough times to believe that it does work. I like you am unsure if I like the idea due to pressure on springs and such, but if you have no other alternative?!?!? Unless the crawler is stored outside and seldom used, I do not think it will become an issue if it is driven once a month or so. I know it is a drier climate here, but we have crawlers that sit for a year or more at a time and have not had trouble.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:52 pm

Well, I was wondering about that for my 2010. It threw one of its tracks just before the holidays, and I had to let it sit in place since it is on a slope. Of course, we got 18+" of snow in December and some rain to boot.

I went down yesterday and tried to put the track back on, but the ground is so soft that I can't raise the crawler right now. I will have to wait until the ground freezes (unlikely around here lately) or until it dries out.

I have been covering it since I read the post about dry clutch machines and trying to run the engine in place when I can, but haven't been able to move it since. The last time I let it sit for a month or two (uncovered), the left clutch seemed to be sticking until I used it a bunch. I was sort of worried about getting a steering clutch stuck during this hiatus, which would be disasterous for me right now.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Mon Jan 08, 2007 7:10 pm

All you have to do is start it, put it in gear, and hold both steering levers back. Apply the foot brake, and let one steering lever off until it drags the engine down. This will scuff any rust off the discs, and build up heat to dry out any moisture.
Lavoy

Tigerhaze
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Tigerhaze » Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:09 am

Thanks for the tip Lavoy!