420C and what do I need?

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
dab102999
40C crawler
40C crawler

420C and what do I need?

Post by dab102999 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:51 am

I have been doing some reading and a little confused as to what all I need. I have a 420C 5 roller serial number 116855. I have a Jensales operators manual for it but not sure what other manuals I need.

I would like a service manual. My unit has a reverser on it and from what I have gathered I need a 440 manual to cover the reverser? Will a 440 manual cover the rest of the Loader/Crawler also? I really have no plans on keeping this unit more then a couple of years once my projects are done so don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on manuals if I only need one.

Second thing is what carb is the correct carb for this unit. Last owner said carb blew out from water in it and freezing so he put an off brand (cant remember number off hand) carb on it. It runs but not the best so would like to get the correct carb for it. There are a few small issues with the unit but it does run and operate just want to make it run better and get stuff adjusted and fluids changed in it before I go to far. This is the first leader/crawler I have owned but I am pretty familiar with two cylinders.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Re: 420C and what do I need?

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 27, 2021 3:58 pm

Welcome to the Board.

First question is which reverser does your 420C have? Two were use the Gear one had the shifter on the right. The later, wet clutch one had the shifter on the left. You will need the reverser section from a 440 manual if you have the wet clutch reverser. The gear reverser is in the 420/430 service manual # SM2019.

For manuals send Lavoy an email (postmaster@jdcrawlers.com) or give him a call ( 701-361-1006 during Central time business hours), I believe he can help you at a reasonable cost.
You can use the John Deere on line parts catalog at https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/. Just search for 420 and you should see a 420 with Parts catalog PC505. The crawlers are with the wheel tractors so read the complete headings to be sure you have the right page. HTH

Jim

dab102999
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by dab102999 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:23 pm

Thank you jim. Reverser is on right side. I engaged it but last owner said he didnt use it cuz it seemed to "wine". I didnt notice a wine but i literally only used it for like 10 feet. I took carb off cleaned it real good and flushed out my fuel system. Cleaned and reset plugs and unit actually runs real good now. I have a few minor things to address but over all a nice unit.

Is the reverser i have a dry or wet reveser. I would assume there is fluid somewhere to change on it...lol

Unit has a 5 speed tranny, a ripper on it and a pretty good bucket. Last guy repacked all the cylinders and only floats down about 5" after leaving it up all night so i am happy with that.

I will call lavoy later this week, figured i mise as well make a list of questions to ask when i do.

Again thanks for the responce and have a good day.

Buckhorn
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Buckhorn » Tue Apr 27, 2021 6:50 pm

The reverser get it's lubrication from the transmission.
I just purchased my 420C last fall, and the previous owner said not to use it, as it could cause problems.
You have to push in the clutch to use it, so you might as well shift into reverse.

B Town
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by B Town » Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:27 pm

The right handed reverser on the 420C is a great option. It is gear driven and as indicated earlier you have to come to a complete stop using the clutch and brake. With a quick snap you are heading the opposite direction in the same exact speed you were going.

A properly operating reverser should snap into the forward and reverse positions. Never us the trans reverse with the reverser in reverse to go forward. Use this site’s search feature to research the reverser oil, type etc.

Best regards, Bruce
Last edited by B Town on Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jim B
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by Jim B » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:17 pm

Both reversers are "wet" in the sense that they have oil for lubriction. Your right lever control reverser uses gears, not clutches in it, to change direction and gets lube oil from the transmission. The other reverser, with the control lever on the left, uses clutches inside it to change direction. That reverser has it own oil, separate from the transmission, which those clutches run in. Those are called wet clutches. The type reverser you have is covered in the 420 Service Manual SM2019, you don't need a 440 manual. You may need a service manual for the 40 series as the 420 manual refers to some things in the 40 Service manual. Again Lavoy can help you get the right manual(s) to cover your crawler. HTH
Jim