John Deere 1010 Dozer

General help and support for your Lindeman through 2010 John Deere crawler
timr
40C crawler
40C crawler

John Deere 1010 Dozer

Post by timr » Thu May 06, 2021 8:42 pm

Hi everyone I am new here and need some help,I bought a 1010 it's a 1961 Diesel, I thought I was buying a good one per say but after a little using it I noticed the right steering clutch wasn't working very good if at all except in reverse they both worked good, I called the guy because he was a Mechanic where my Dad use to work he came over to look at it and said he wasn't real sure about the smaller Dozers he always worked on bigger ones so IDK if he knew he got me or not but anyways he tightened up the right brake pedal adjustment and said that would fix the steering as well, oh yeah forgot to mention the brakes Didn't work either but he Did tighten the brake and it seemed to be working good for about a half hour tops, then it kept wanting to pull to the right and when i tried the left steering clutch it just locked the track up but wouldn't turn to the left now, but it still turns to the right, also when I get like up against a rock or try to climb a slope only the left track spins and pulls to the right, I went through the manual Instructions and adjusted the steering clutches and brakes on both sides but it Didn't change anything for me, I still can't turn to the left the track stops solid but won't turn at all but the right steering clutch will still turn to the right, Does this sound like I would have a steering clutch out on the right side? or what's going on I never worked on a Dozer before but have on cars and such,I will try to tackle it myself with some guidance from you guys or if anyone is close to where I live I would be willing to pay someone who knows what they are doing for sure to fix it , I just don't want to screw it up worse and definitely need to get it going right or I'm pretty much out of 8000. Thank you for any help suggestions, or if you know what your doing and live close enough to Bridgeport,Ohio 43912 and want to make some extra $$$ let me know, I'm not rich but will pay a fair price. Thanks

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: John Deere 1010 Dozer

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 07, 2021 8:30 am

I think he cheated you unfortunately, but nothing to do about it now probably.
Steering clutches are a normal replacment item, they wear and need to be replaced. You are correct that the right clutch is likely shot. Get a set of manuals for it, and read through the process of replacement. I normally stock all of the steering clutch parts, so that is not an issue. If you are at all mechanically inclined, you can do it. I would make the jerk come and help you.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

timr
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by timr » Fri May 07, 2021 11:46 am

yes I figured he got me also, especially with him being a mechanic, Do you sell the whole kit everything I would need to replace it if so could you give me a price here or in email, I figured I'd probably have to fix it myself hopefully your right and it's not to bad Lol also Keith said you know everything there is about these, so if I would by chance run into any trouble would I be able to get some advice from you? I wish someone had made a video I could watch to see what all is involved but guess I'll have to try it off the manual. Thanks for your reply and let me know how much for the whole kit for the right steering clutch.

Lavoy
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Lavoy » Fri May 07, 2021 12:33 pm

Kit runs $625, you may find some other little things to fix while you are in there. Yes, I can help walk you through anything you get stuck on.
Lavoy
Parts and restoration for antique and late model John Deere crawlers.
Owner and moderator www.jdcrawlers.com

timr
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by timr » Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm

Ok sounds Good to me how Do I order the kit just call the number thats on the parts page?

dtoots1
350 crawler
350 crawler

Post by dtoots1 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:06 pm

yes..you can reach him at that number...you can also email him..postmaster@jdcrawlers.com... not sure of the gauge number for setting the pressure plate but Lavoy should have that available....if it is like mine on my jd440ic...you will also need some small "C" clamps to get it bolted to the flywheel....park inside on cement floor on top of 2 planks per track...so you can get under and place solid blocking when jacked up...overhead lift of some kind to handle the final and be able to maneuver it out...also turn the track so the master pin is conveniently located for swinging sledge to knock it out...mine was towards rear of sprocket about 1 o'clock position. My back skid plate had to come off and the hitch
i jacked mine up just to clear the planks and when all installed back together pulled the planks and fired it up to test the "new" for proper adjustments.

if you do get questions...at inopportune times..my phone number is in the Q&A forum...in the "dedicated pic server" instructions...text me and will get back..am located near Akron

timr
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by timr » Fri May 07, 2021 6:00 pm

Thank you for your advice like a Dummy I was going to do it outside but yes pulling in the garage on planks sounds much better,I'm going to hunt for your number just in case I sent you a message on here in case I can't find it.

Keith-OR
430 crawler
430 crawler

Post by Keith-OR » Fri May 07, 2021 10:45 pm

Glad ya made it on here Tim, Like I said all the knowledge about these crawlers is on here!!!
Keith

timr
40C crawler
40C crawler

Post by timr » Sat May 08, 2021 12:02 pm

Thanks Keith yes I think with all of you guys knowledge and my doing it should get the job done, fingers crossed Lol